Convert mech fuel gauge to electric unit?

piniongear

Seaman
My boat is a 17ft Mako with a built in 24 gal fuel tank and has a mechanical fuel gauge mounted on a pipe sticking up through the floor under the console.<br /> I would really like to put a dash mounted gauge on the boat so that I didn't have to open a hatch cover and peer in every time I want to check the fuel level.<br /> Is this possible? I have seen a gauge and sender unit from Tempo, but I am not certain if the sender unit would just replace the mechanical gauge or what? How in the world would the mechanics of such a change out hook up? I don't mind changing out a gauge for a sending unit, but I would rather not get into pulling the entire float assembly out of the tank.<br /> Thanks for any comments on this......Piniongear

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Convert mech fuel gauge to electric unit?

Not sure what the indicator looks like, so will assume it is like a lot on industrial equipment. held in with 4 mounting screws to a welded flange, quite simple and very reliable. <br /> Instead of adapting the present hole, you would drill a new hole with a hole saw to accomidate the float and arm. Then 5 holes threaded to secure the sending unit. Results would be lots of metal chips in the tank. Would the tank be out and empty when you do this ? Long shot is if you can see the whole top ofthe tank, maby there is already a blanked out hole for this purpose. ME, i would stick with the remote indicator. regards fred

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The sender for an electrical guage attaches to a flange mounted on the top of the tank. It attaches by five screws in an industry wide standard pattern and screw threads (forget which). Sooo if you punch a hole in your tank make sure that you cut it the right size in the right place with the right screw pattern. The tank flange does not come with the sending unit.<br /><br />I'm with Fred on sticking with what you have.

piniongear

Seaman

Thank you PI Fred and Solittle. You both have convinced me that opening a hatch once in awhile is not so bad after all. The tank is completely beneath the floor and out of sight/reach..........Piniongear