Controversial sports team names

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
jtexas posted on sports team names made me think of this...<br />I can't stand it when activist groups go too far to change something. Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI had a long-time tradition as being the Warriors. Then, it was considered disrespectful to Native Americans because Marquette had a mascot dressed in a Native American war outfit. I can totally understand the mascot being offensive and getting rid of that, but they also were somewhat forced to change their name also. They became the Golden Eagles. Not a bad name, but not real great name either. I do not see the argument for changing the Warriors name. Warrior is defined as someone who fights, not a specific race or group of people. How do things get so out of wack. I'd love to chat with persons who were against that name, just to understand why? How about taking up a fight with team names such as the Indians, Chiefs, Redskins... I'd say those names are way out of whack.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Controversial sports team names

Wisconsin is an Indian word. It has several possible meanings, including gathering of the waters, wild rice country, and home land.<br /><br />I will begin a campaign as soon as possible to have the offensive name of your state changed. :)

Pony

Rear Admiral

LOL<br /><br />Hey Basscat, at least the Marquette Gold didnt last. that was embarrassing

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

yeah, didn't the Florida Seminoles get the go-ahead from the tribe to continue?<br /><br />One thing I gotta ask about...anybody from Cleveland here? How can you keep on using Chief Wahoo? If anybody was gonna complain, that's one I could really understand.<br /><br />And what's this new NFL team, Houston Texans? Nobody asked me if I was offended by that!@<br /><br />And Crimson Tide...isn't that some kind of ecological disaster?<br /><br />How about "Marquette Golden Algae"

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're right Alden! So is Milwaukee, or more correctly pronounced, "Millia-wauhh-Kayy" so says, Alice Cooper. Let's get after these problems.<br /><br />Pony, Gold??? Oh yeah, I was all for that. It sounds like a dance squad that performs at half time, not Division I basketball. I almost croked in my chair when I read that name in the paper. I've never seen a school make such an a__ of out themselves. I even think Golden Alagae is better than just plain Gold. :)

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Basscat, We here in New England have equally offensive sports teams:<br /><br />Patriots- Makes some uncomfortable <br /><br />Celtics- Obvious disrespectful parody of the Irish<br /><br />Bruins- Animal rights groups should sue for roalties on the bears' behalf.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Well when you get right down to it.....there are dozens and dozens of cities with Indian names in this state, not to mention that a lot of high schools are named the Indians or Warriors etc. Some are a combination(Oconomowoc Indians)(Kewaskum Indians)...the list is endless. Personally I see it as a form of honor. some mascots go too far yes, but a name is a name.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget the Fighting Irish. A real stereotypical slur. :p <br /><br />Jinx<br /><br />Oh, yeah, I do think it's time to put the name Redskins out to pasture, but Chiefs, Braves and Warriors are all quite respectful in my book

Twidget

Commander

Lil Danny Snyder will never put Redskins out to pasture. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

how has this guy lasted as long as he has?<br />
wahoo.gif
<br />Cleveland Indians Chief Wahoo

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

There was an Indian student group at some school in northern Colorado that , with tongue firmly planted in cheek, started a drive to change the school mascot to the "Fightin' Whities". They put a picture of a nerdy- looking white guy in black rimmed glasses on t- shirts and sold enough of them to start a scholarship fund at the school. Pretty funny stuff.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Fightin Whities now that is funny!

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fightin' Whities. Awh, man. I just had to look that one up.<br />
TheFightinWhitie.gif
[/IMG]

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, what am I doing wrong?? My image of the fightin' whities didn't appear??? :(

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I must say I am offended by a neighboring high school's name, the Trojans.

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also no problem with U.S. helicopters, Apache, Comanche, Longbow, Tomahawk missiles or anything else that is American.