Controlling bees and wasps

brother chris

Commander
Okay, out on our farm there is a barn witch is full of bees and wasps. We have bought several cans of repellant, but they are still hanging around. <br />I called the exterminator, but he just said to watch and see where they go and then get a can and spray the nest. <br />Is there anyway to control them. Is there something that will keep them away, once I get them away? <br />Poisonous sugar water or something like that?

Homerr

Commander
Re: Controlling bees and wasps

I have wasps around my home, and short of finding the nest and using the spray, I have found NO other way to get rid of them.<br /><br />I've tried all traps and methods. The wasps just ignore them all.<br /><br />You have to destroy the nest. I only use the foaming type spray. Don't bother with the stuff that doesn't foam.<br /><br />The only other way to get them is to wait until winter or a very cold morning. Bees can't fly in the cold (most of them anyway)... then go after the nest.<br /><br />My area is just coming out of winter, so the bees are starting to wake up. I'm trying to get the queens so they can't nest.<br /><br />H.

brother chris

Commander

A friend of mine is moving into the barn. We are in the process of remodelling it at the moment. <br />The bees and wasps just do not seem to go away. <br />Using the foam is costly, but I guess if that is the only way....I guess that is how it has to be done. <br />Has anyone been successful at keeping them at bay?

ndemge

Commander

Every year I go around all the out buildings and around the house and spray Malathon.<br /><br />It's pretty stinky, but the smell goes away after a day or so. Do not use IN the house.<br /><br />Malathon is used usually as a pesdicide in the garden, but we mix it a bit heavy and spray the permimiter of every building under the eves, INSIDE anywhere that is prone to nest building, and again around the inside permimiter where they might be able to gain entry. It works as a pretty good repelant. <br /><br />I usually load up about 4 gallons in the backpack sprayer and go to work.<br /><br />I'd spray the heck outa that barn, inside and out with a heavy dose of malathon and see how much better it is the next day.

ZmOz

Captain

I have some of those plastic bag type traps...they fill up with bees very quickly. They're only like $4 each, you should hang several of them around the area.

SoulWinner

Commander

I don't know what the law is up there, but down here we go to jail if we destroy a bee hive. I don't know why. But if you have a bee problem, get a hold of a bee keeper. They will know what to do. With the wasps, kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Brings back memories of when I was about 12yrs, a few mates and myself found a wasp nest in a farm outbuilding. We thought it would be a laugh to poor methylated spirit onto it and set it alite. Those wasps sure got angry, I had never run so fast in my life.<br /><br />I definately do NOT recommend this method of dealing with a nest.

eeboater

Commander

I hate bees... got goose bumps just thinking about it

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Did'nt someone on here once said to feed them Mountain Dew?

dolluper

Captain

If you can find the hives go in at dark as bees and wasps need light for direction , there will only be afew three or four that will come out even in the dark but they stay about a foot away at the most Cut the hive off at top with doubled or trippled garage bag ready for it to fall in close up and they die inside ,clear bags is the best as you can leave out in the sunlight and cook them to Don't do it in daylight they will get you Tip keep some fresh garlic or onion handy in case you get stung the oils from either will take the sting away right away GOOD HUNTING

brother chris

Commander

Thanks and I will go and see if I can get any Malathon. <br />We just seem to keep going through bottle after bottle of the bee/wasp killer foam. <br />We tore down a leen-to yesterday that was connected to the barn and boy, did they ever get mad. Had to stay away for hours. <br />We also have those plastic bottles hanging around the barn. They do not seem to catch anything as of yet.