Control Cable Help

Bryant Davis

Cadet
I just bought a 1977 70hp Evinrude to replace a blown 1986 40hp Evinrude I had on my boat. I have noticed that the motor end of the control cables have different connections. I was wondering if the control box ends are the same. In other words will I still be able to use my "1986" control box with the '77 motor. I know that the wiring harness is the same.<br /><br />Also, this motor has been sitting for a while and I tested compression before buying it. Compression showed high on the motor cold (135, 130, 128) but after running the motor a few minutes the compression read 125, 125, 123. I was impressed for a motor this age but should the cold readings be of concern or is this normal? All reading were with all plugs removed.<br /><br />One last question...I plan to replace the water pump prior to installing this motor. Should I replace just the impeller, the whole kit or what?

alcan

Commander
Re: Control Cable Help

Hi Bryant<br />Your compression reading sound find, no worry. As what you should do with the water pump. I can't see what you have. If all looks good, and you can purchess just the empeller, great! The thing that happens so many times though is, you find that you also need a gasket or gromet or seal as well. In this case you may as well go whole hog. It may be a good idea anyway, just because the motor is new to you.