Control box problems '82 OMC

StillFishin'

Seaman
I had to crack open my control box to tighten the high speed idle lever and while in there noticed that the shift lockout lever(~1/2 X 2 1/4) was in bad shape. I ordered a new one and the new one had a longer bottom flange. It was too long and after gringing it down everything works OK except when I put it in reverse and then go back to nutral, the fast idle lever pops up. This happens even though I don't have the cables at the momo hooked up yet.<br /><br />Can anyone help with troble shooting the problem?<br /><br />StillFishin'

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Control box problems '82 OMC

There are various control boxes, and the major portion of the components cannot be interchanged.<br /><br />If you can send me a few pictures of your control box, I'll try to help you out. ReevesJ32@aol.com

StillFishin'

Seaman

Thanks for the offer Joe. Now I know I have to get a ditial camera! Too many things on the plate to tackle that right now. I'll try to give you more infro and maybe you can help that way.<br /><br />I am using OMC manaul NO.392790. There is a diagram on page 9-5 and I replaced the shift Lockout lever(#67). The part looks exactly the same as the old one except it has a longer botton flange that goes into the cam(#20). I had to grind that flange down as it was too long and would bind on the case. However my box is differant than shown in 9-5 in that shift lockout cam(#20)is held in place by one screw and the throttle lever assembley(#38) is offset mounted on the cam. My cam is also smaller. I also do not have the Keeper Plate(#68). There is a taped hole in my case where a scew would go for the keeper. Right next to that hole is a ~5/8" round "bumpup" similar to the "stop" in fig.9-20. The "bumpup" is about 1" away from the stop.<br /><br />I hope the above will get you dialed into what I have. I don't think I got anything in there miss placed. The only thing I took off and put back was the shift lever and the cam but I think it only goes back together one way.<br /><br />The only thing I can see that can be put back together in two differnet ways is that Shift lockout lever(#67). It can either be postioned so as to go between the "bumpup" and the trottle stop, or, go next to the throttle lever ass.(#38). Unforunally I can't remember where it went when I took it apart.<br /><br />Can you shed any light on my problem with the above? hope you can follow it.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />StillFishin'

StillFishin'

Seaman

One more thing..the case half that the cam is mounted on has the no. 328204 stamped on it.<br /><br />StillFishin'

StillFishin'

Seaman

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!<br /><br />That "bumpup" I spook of is where the other end of the shift lockout lever goes. DA! The reason I didn't know that at first is because the old one just lifted out of the cam because the bottom flange was worn off. Didn't notice the other end was in the "bumpup"<br /><br />Thanks Joe for trying to help. Actualy you did because you made me really pour on the extra brain power. I don have to get into digial cameras to help save my brain!<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />StillFishin'<br /><br />PS. I wouldn't have had to grind off the bottom of the flange as now it is a little short. I don't think it will matter because the old one was 3/8" short anyway.