Continuous alarm when key turned on

I have 2008 20ft Bayliner Discovery with the 3.0 merc and Alpha one.
I have checked the oil, and the gear lube indicator is at "operating range".
Once the motor is turned on the alarm goes away. The engine runs great.

The only thing that's happened to the motor is a ski rope got tangled in the prop last time out but there were no alarms or apparent damage after unwrapping it. Everything ran fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Continuous alarm when key turned on

oil alarm circuit may go to ground with no oil pressure(engine not running)

Thanks, but I'm not sure what that means. The alarm should only sound for a couple of secs then shut off before starting. What do you suggest I do exactly. Pull off and clean a sensor?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

No, no oil pressure allows the sender to go to ground.when your running the motor ,oil pressure is present. when you have no oil pressure,it all leaked out or engine is off the alarm senses no oil pressure and sounds the alarm. As soon as there is oil pressure, alarm silences.

I see, that does make sense however the boat never used to do that. It gave an alarm to let you know it's working then shut off. Then I old start the engine. This is the first time the alarm has continuously ran until being started.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The alarm should only sound for a couple of secs then shut off before starting. What do you suggest I do exactly.

That only happens on EFI engines that are computer controled. What you are experiencing is normal for carbed engines of your vintage.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What is the Merc serial number of your engine.