contested appraisal

ob

Admiral
Well,I contested last years property appraisal increase in writing to the county appraisal district.Shortly after recieving the letter listing my reasons ,I recieved a call from the appraisal office.The rep said that after reviewing my proposal that they would be willing to rerate my residence at the amount I had arrived at after depreciating a few items.This amount was near $18000 less than the increase and fell under the previous years appraisal amount by about $2000.As a result,we had a bit more money in escrow than was needed to cover this years guestimated insurance costs.Today we recieved a check for $450 from the mortgage company and our monthly payment went down $100.That's good news to the wife and I.The better news will come in about 4 years when it's payed off. :)

Laddies

Banned
Re: contested appraisal

I am certain glag to here that there are appraisers the your state that one can reason with, not so here in the State of Michigan.

ehenry

Commander

In Madison county where I live they had a county wide reappraisal year before last. They hired an independant company to do it and as far as I'm concerned it was money wasted and the Tax Assessor needs to be shot. <br /><br />Every county resident had to contest their appraisal. When they came out to appraise my place they never got out of the truck, never even put a tape on my house. They had me with 2500 sqaure feet I didnt have, two bathrooms and bedrooms I didnt have and my shop as a completed two bedroom one bath residence. THey had me at an appraised value of almost a half million bucks!!<br /><br />I took my house plans and what I paid for building my house, shop and what I paid for my property and got it adjusted from almost a half million down to 189K and told them the county wasted their money and wasn't getting what they paid for.<br /><br />Strange thing is though that shortly after that the tax assessor was up for relection and got voted back in to office ! ! !!

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Tried that and made no difference to the appraisal board. They raise the rate and I had to pay about $250.00 more per year. The appraisal took a picture of the front of my house and then said how much to charge. I have picture of surrounding house and approximate value of other house and no chance to change the value. Got so fed up with the appraisal board.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

They appraise houses in my town every year. Done with a program. Wish I knew what the parameters to that program were. My taxes increases over $1000 in the last two years.

ob

Admiral

Depending on the age of your house and any descrepancies you feel don't warrant the increase ,you can submit in writing or contact the appraisal district and discuss.I my case ,I listed a depreciated roof because of age,the original A/C system,some cosmetic brick verneer fractures and such.Many homes in my neighborhood of 20 years old have had new roof installs and the like.You just need to justify your reasons for feeling that the appraisal is unreasonable.I was fortunate I guess in that my local appraisal district was willing to listen.

KRS

Banned

Remember, an increase in a tax levy (for fire district, school district, etc.) can increase taxes too, regardless of assessor's valuation.<br /><br />And be advised, the assessor's office isn't "appraising" the house, an appraisal sets forth a market value (definition outlined in FIRREA regulations) whereas an assessor's notice of valuation determines a cost basis, calculates depreciation and the resulting value (typically called a full cash value) to be taxed upon.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...........<br />Around here, Assessors come with an Tax Assessment Value............<br /><br />Realtors will do an Appraisal, to determine a Market Value.....<br />Different Words for the Same Issues......<br /><br />Anyway,<br />A little story from many years ago.............<br /><br />Back in 1983 I found a Severely Distressed Boathouse on a little pond called Lake Bonaparte(a nice Spring-fed lake with an excellent fishery, more importantly, Just Outside the Infamous Adirondack Blueline)....<br /><br />I contacted,+ met with the owners... They'd been trying to sell for a considerable time,+ had dropped the price from $10,000. to $5000.......<br />Sitting there in a local Ginmill, I wrote out My own purchase contract, Giving them they're Full asking price,.... I gave them $250.Cash,+ Promised the balance upon Bank Approval,+ I'd be given Immediate possession.......<br /><br />I then threw a Party,+ Myself,+ many Friends jacked,+ leveled the building........ After that I called My banker... He came over with the bank's appraiser,+ they spent maybe an hour looking it over..... <br />Several days later Craig, My banker, called with the Good News...... They gave me an appraisal for $9900.,+ He was willing to loan the Full Value......<br />I signed,+ payed the former owners the $4750. that I owed them,+ pocketed the balance.......<br /><br />Well, That year I learned that the town Taxed me on a $10,000. assessment...Even though it was Twice what I'd Just Payed, That was less than $200. a year, so I figured I'd just pay My share,+ Didn't contest it.............<br /><br />After several years, there was a Fire..... The Camp was destroyed.....<br />That year, My taxes Didn't go down, reflecting the loss of the Structures on the property......<br /><br />That's when I decided to Contest the Assessment...... I did my homework,+ went to the board meeting................<br />When My turn came up, I was told that even though the building Wasn't habitable, the Pile of Ashes Was Still There on the Assessment Date, So I was Taxed at the Previous rate...........OK, So be it.....<br /><br />They told me they would be willing to lower the rate to reflect the loss of the structures,+ asked me what I thought was a Fair Value........<br />I responded $1400..... <br />To which they replied, " That's a Totally Unrealistic value for 40' of Waterfront"..... " Where did you(I) come up with such a low figure" ???<br />My responce,..." Your Tax Files.. total value $12,000. Land Value, $1400"........<br />They stuttered,+ backpeddled abit,+ told me they'd notify me of their findings by mail..........<br />2 weeks later, in the mail was a notice from them............<br />Tax Assessment, Total Value,...$1400..........<br /><br />Total Tax Assessment, today many years later, $3400......... That's a little over $50. land tax,+ about 3 times that in school taxes...............<br /><br />So, to illistrate the differences between an Assessment,+ an Appraisal.........<br />All the Dockage,+ Improvements that I've done over the years are Not built into the Assessment... No Buildings.....<br /><br />But, If you think for 1 minute that I'd sell this little nugget for the $3400. Assessed Value........ <br />You're Crazier than I am..........<br /><br />The Appraised Value is Much Closer to $1000.@ Foot, Waterfrontage...................... ;)

KRS

Banned

LOL....<br /><br />Regular guy = 1<br />Tax assessor = 0