Contaminated Oil

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last year my trim oil was low, I was unsure as to what type of oil was to be used so I used Gear Lube. Was this a mistake or did I do the right thing. I was informed that my oil was contaminated by the Marina in which I had my boat winterized but he did not go into any details. The oil has a milky look to it. How do I fix this issue?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Contaminated Oil

What engine/system are you talking about, Wanabe?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Buy a service manual for your boat before you make another big mastake. It will save you a lot of time and money over the life of the boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the trim oil is milky, it likely has water mixed in. Suck out the oil and refill with the correct oil. Most modern PTT systems use Dextron III Auto Trans fluid. Older ones use 5W-30 motor oil. A service manual will help you chose the correct fluid and further diagnose where the leak is.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have ordered the service manual for Alpha 1 Gen 2. I have a 1994 Mercury 5.7L Manual, but it doesn't cover the outdrive. I am kinda hoping its not one of the cylinders and just a screw up on my part.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

You are talking about the trim motor fluid...not the lower unit, correct?

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

So these companies repackage ATF, double the price, cut the quantity in half and call Trim/Lift Oil?

(Just like the power steering fluid is nothing but Type 'F' ATF.)

JB

I am surprised, David. Do you think there is any chance that the OP is coming back to read your useless comment after a year and a half?

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

WAIT! How do you get contaminated fluid in your trim setup???? it is a closed system.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

It isn't closed if the drive unit's hoses, fittings, or seals are leaking.

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB,

No. Did not expect the OP to respond. But some others did, including you.

I don't think it's useless info to know marketing techniques and the people who sell the scams.

I now have less trust in the integrity of the seller.

It's always, "Buyer Beware". Scam artists, great and small, abound. And technical dishonesty is used often.

I read the label of a bottle of Quicksilver Trim oil/fluid yesterday while in a store. It has no oil grade specifications on it at all. Doesn't say what it is.

I didn't buy it.

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

BLU lunch: "Surprised?"

No. Most of our present post-hippie culture is built on illusions, and driven by marketing sound bites.

JB

JB,

No. Did not expect the OP to respond. But some others did, including you.

I don't think it's useless info to know marketing techniques and the people who sell the scams.

I now have less trust in the integrity of the seller.

It's always, "Buyer Beware". Scam artists, great and small, abound. And technical dishonesty is used often.

I read the label of a bottle of Quicksilver Trim oil/fluid yesterday while in a store. It has no oil grade specifications on it at all. Doesn't say what it is.

I didn't buy it.

Okay. So you were not responding to the OP; you just wanted to hijack his thread to bash the industry. We do not welcome bashing here and we do not welcome hijacking.

If you have a specific example of your complaint, with facts, make your own thread about it.

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

My intension wans not to bash the industry.

Having been out of boating for 35 years, I wanted clarification to post #4.

I did not know that "trim" fluid was ATF. So I asked the question. But I also analyzed what was going on with the marketing of this "product".

Knowing the truth about a product should not hurt the boat business. Only make it better.

JB

I would agree, but only if the "truth" was backed up by facts. There is far too much "truth" out there that is based on mythology and unqualified opinion..

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it would be good if the "Trim/Lift" fluid sellers put an SAE specification on the bottle. That would eliminate some mythology.