Construction question. Basemnt steps, need a landing?

ndemge

Commander
Door at the bottom of the steps. Must there be a landing, and then the door, or can a door be put directly at the last step?

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Construction question. Basemnt steps, need a landing?

what are the parameters ... restrictions of the stairwell? .... <br /><br />need #'s in order to help out ndemge...rise/run calculation and head room are factors here .. <br /><br />is the door hung already? ... is it swinging into or out of the stairwell? ... <br /><br />do you have the measurements available? can you get them? ... stairwell dimensions??

ndemge

Commander

not at home for dimensions,.. but here's a really rought scetch...<br /><br />I've got a wall about 3' in front of the bottom of the steps, to the right of that is the door to laundry area, then an angled wall.<br /><br />If I have to have a landing, I have to build a wall from the bottom of the steps to the angled wall. If I don't need a landing I can put it just directly at the bottom of the steps.<br /><br />Have not purchased a door yet.<br />My question is twofold, one, do most codes require the landing, and two, is it just way too anoying without the landing?<br /><br />for the code side of it, if for some reason I ever wanted to sell, it sure is easy to take out a door :) <br /><br /><br />
basement1mg.jpg

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

from a user stand point it's much more friendly having a landing then bending over from the second/third step to open the door...<br /><br />code or no code .. its just simply more practical to have a landing there .. <br /><br />esp carrying laundry!!!!

nickys toy

Recruit

Well, Your typical door is 6"8" high and your typical stair rise is 7" +/-. This leaves you about 6"1" to enter the door. You also must bend down to grasp the knob seeing that it is now about 7" lower than normal. Seems like a knot in the forehead to me.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

another thought -- <br /><br />think of it as trying to open the door while standing on the second and third step .. <br /><br />the door knob will be quite a bit lower and more dificult to deal with when toting stuff

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as codes go, it would depend on if your city uses the UBC (uniform building code)or the IBC (international building code) most large cities have went to the IBC. Check with your local city hall, they should be able to tell you which one.<br />As for my personial opinion I would go with the landing, it would make it much easier to open the door if you had a larger platform to stand on rather then a step.<br />Ray

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

having a landing also provides for a drain,the landing sould be at least 4 inches below the door sill. have a drain

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Take one of the bedroom doors off the hinges and stand it at the bottom of the stairs. See how you like it. <br /><br />I vote for a landing. Could be very difficult to navagate without one. Especially when going up!

NOSLEEP

Commander

Seen e'm both ways. <br />The landing would be better. Imho

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Board the basment off and build an addition at the same level as the main floor. Just think no stairs, no landings, no doors...Ahh the simplicity of it all<br /><br />Next question?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) No problem here going down 14 steps with the door just 3" away from the last step!!! No problem with the door knob!!! We use the stairs often and my son uses at least 2 times a day!!! In our building code we do not need to have a minimum landing or open space at the bottom of the steps before the door!!! <br /><br />We do need a hand rail!!! Check your local building code!!! Every state is differant!!! ;) :cool:

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

The 2000 International residential code requires a landing at the bottom of all stairs. (section 312.1.1)(a landing is defined as 3' deep and as wide as the stairs)weather there is a door or not is dependant upon the interpretation of the local building inspector if he knows you are doing this work. The 2003 Michigan res. code is the same. I don't have my 2003 IRC book here at home to see if there are any differences.<br />IMO a door right at the bottom of the stairs would be inconveniant.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Wanna raise the door knob? <br />Just install the door upside down.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks to me like it would work the way it is, if there's a door at the top of the stairs. Why do you want a door down there at all?

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Landing...Hayhauler got the right idea...sl

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

What Roscoe said. Or just buy a door slab and install the know as high as you want so you don't have to bend if you don't want a landing.

ndemge

Commander

Thanks for all the input everyone....<br /><br />I think I will build the wall and put the landing. Putting a high knob sounds like it would fix the no-landing door, but picturing myself caying a laundry basket and try to open the door while on the steps does sound like a problem.<br /><br />.... the reason for the door at the bottom and the top...<br /><br />The top door is an acordian door, and no room for a swinging door. Also, when she is babysitting in the basement, the last thing you need is kids playing on the steps. A gate is not an option. If a 5yo decides he's going to throw a tantrum and go upstairs because he's P'd off.... if your by yourself, you go upstairs after them, and put your foot down... can't do that with other kids to watch. HAVE to keep them under the leash.<br /><br />Thinking I might go the 2nd door route with a pocket door.