Console

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice
I have spent several hours browsing the web for some woodworking plans on center consoles. It is a shame there is so much commercial advertisements a person can't find what they want. Does anyone have any suggestions?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Console

What I did when I built mine was to sit down and start drawing up sketches of what I wanted it to look like. Then took a few measurements for room, and then worked out the dimensions and made it. In my case its a simple one with a angled front with enough room for gages, stereo, fish finder and so on with the back panel on hinges so it can swing open for easy wiring. And the front bottom open for leg room and after it was built and fitted for gages n stuff , it was off to a upholstery shop. I used the style you will see in a lot of the replacement ones. Mine is made like this with a few changes , its 36 inches wide by 30 tall. I wanted room for expansion if add gages and so on.

http://www.iboats.com/Premium-Pontoon-Captain-s-Stand-Marble-Round-Midnite-Charcoal-Wise-Boat-Seats/dm/*******.187298779--**********.699033992--view_id.349734

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your response, M H Hawker. I used a little of my military experience and took a tape measurer to a lot with pontoons on it and made my own measurements. Sure seems like there would be something like that on the web though, as there is just about everything else. But, just wanted you to know it was appreciated. Thanks again.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

My plesure and sorry I wasnt of more help. I think a lot of people just buy them

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I could buy one, but what is the fun in that? I like to take a little pride in whatever I'm doing. No pride in having a lot of money.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I complety agree and why I bought a older boat to rebuild into what I want. The part I like is cruzing by people still making payments. I often just go to the marina and spend a few hours puttering around with stuff before I go out night fishing. It has ben intersting thier is a group of people like me who go out fishing several nights a week lolol but never catch a thing I have had to start hiding my spots. I take pictures and weigh them and keep a running total for a season.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I'm with you there, anybody can buy something but to make it yourself gives a certain sense of accomplishment.

I built my boat from the keel up and moved quite a few things around so they work better the way I use my boat.

I made my rod holders, Rod light, 2 anchors,an unspillable drink holder, it's like a small + with the legs filled with lead and it will hold a full beer unpright at a 45 degree angle, and I even my own camper top, my boat has 12 bases around the perimeter and everything is made to fit in those bases so no matter what situation you find yourself in the rod holders and lights can be configured to fit it.

Of coarse it doesn't hurt that I work in a fab shop and can TIG weld so pretty much anything I can think of I can usually build.

I am with Hawker, as I always say , if you can't draw it out you probably can't build it so start with a tape and paper and get drawing till you get what you want, maybe build a mock up out of luan and remember to make it strong enough and attach it to the deck so it will withstand all the forces put inot it expecially being a CC.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Guys, I'm a firm believer in pride of something done with my own hands, and I take the DIY approach when feasible. However, it's not always feasible. Sometimes it's better and, gasp, cheaper, to pay the man. It's a little myopic to assume someone is buying a barge on time just because he didn't buy an old one and rebuild it himself. Just a sayin'.;)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

lol thats why im buying a set of new back seats shortly, some things its not cost effective to DYI and i do enjoy making it my self. If they ever get my cover made.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I complety agree and why I bought a older boat to rebuild into what I want. The part I like is cruzing by people still making payments. I often just go to the marina and spend a few hours puttering around with stuff before I go out night fishing. It has ben intersting thier is a group of people like me who go out fishing several nights a week lolol but never catch a thing I have had to start hiding my spots. I take pictures and weigh them and keep a running total for a season.

That's why they call it "Fishing" and not "Catching". You have to be "on fish" to catch them. You also need to know what technique and bait/lure they like -- and on that particular day.

WoodenPontoon

Seaman Apprentice

I drew many configurations and then made a foam board template of mine before starting the wood working. It helps if you have some of the components to use as props.

I too llike to build things myself, but agree some things work out better if purchased.

100_2273.jpg

100_2636.jpg

100_2710.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I saw your boat in Pontoon & Deck boat magazine, quite a peice of work.

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Hawker, Know what you mean bought taking pictures and releasing the fish. I caught a blue cat this past year which was so big I had no idea of what it weighted. After I got home, I took the picture I had taken of this fish to my local grocery store. That picture weighed 49 pounds. LOL

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I bet it looked something like this one. And yes that is a real catfish 641 pounds.

catfish1.jpg