Considering different boat purchase. Help

Bcrowe

Seaman
I am considering purchasing a different boat. my last purchase got me in WAY over my head because I didnt know what I was doing. This time I am much more educated but still would like some input. I am looking to purchase a 1997 Caravelle Bow Rider 1750 SE BR. This boat appears to be in very good shape considering its age. The Hull is flawless, gelcoat is solid and non faded, interior shows very minor wear. It appears to me to be garage kept. The owner claims to have just replaced plugs, wires, distributor, and impeller. It has a 3.0 Volvo / SX Cobra Volvo Penta powerplant and drive. I noticed the drive has a skeg guard. Should I be concerned with this since its possible that the original skeg was broken or is it more likely it was added simply for protection. Is it a decent motor/drive combination. How well would it pull an average sized male slalom skiier. I have no idea of the current hours on the boat. The owner is asking 5,500.00 for it which seems reasonable to me but I am no expert. Any assistance you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Caravelle 1.jpg
    Caravelle 1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Caravelle 2.jpg
    Caravelle 2.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 0
  • caravelle 3.jpg
    caravelle 3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Considering different boat purchase. Help

The boat looks pretty good and the price is in the ball park. If its intended use is primarily to pull a slalom skier it will be weak. For general purpose cruising, tubing and goofing off with rare use as a ski boat it may be OK.

Bcrowe

Seaman

Its mostly going to be recreational craft. I certainly dont plan to use it for a competition slalom boat. I just really enjoy to ski slalom from time to time. Granted I havent done that in 20 years but want to get back at it again. Thanks for the feedback.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Actually seems a little high in price to me, but that's more of a local thing and you'll have to judge that. I agree with drrpm on use for skiing. Experienced skiers, even large, will not have a problem getting up, but will still be a chore and you will drag for a bit. 3.0s are great as long as you understand that horsepower is horsepower.

The skeg guard says damage to me, but would not scare me away. I'd want to check propshaft runout first, and drain the lower unit to look for water.

Bcrowe

Seaman

Thanks QC. I understand checking the lower unit for water. What is the proceedure for checking propshaft runout? Hope that isnt a stupid question. Still learning here. I have looked at similar boats in this region and the price doesnt seem too bad will probably haggle with him a little.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Skeg guard's telling me somewhere along its 15 years the skeg was damaged. That would have some effect on my thoughts where price is concerned. At that age of boat the cost difference between the 4.3 with its nearly 45% additional hp is non existant and so for that reason alone I would keep shopping. The performance difference between the 3.0 and the 4.3 is really dramatic especially for tow sports and particularly slalaming with deep water starts. We used to ski with 9.9hp so of course anything is possible but life and the ski season are short and I prefer more power to less power during the short time I have to use the boat. My simplistic view is that if you prefer less power to more power that might require little more shopping or negotiating then consider the 3.0.

QC

Supreme Mariner

What is the proceedure for checking propshaft runout? Hope that isnt a stupid question.
Not stupid. The right way is with a dial indicator and a base of some sort.

I believe you can visual it if you are really good at blocking out anything other than the end of the shaft. I put a pencil in the end and then rotate the propeller and look for any movement at all of the pencil tip. Many would say that is foolish, but I have convinced myself I can see that level of detail.