Considering a wet slip - Got a question

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice
I am getting a new boat and my wife and I believe we will use the boat much more if it is wet slip versus trailered. With that in mind I was speeking with a friend who said I will need to paint the bottom of by brand new boat to prevent barnical growth. Is this required. How often would I need to pull he boat out of the water to maintain a clean hull.

The boat will be a 22' Chaparral
It will be in saltwater (Virginia Beach area)

Any other maintenance consideration I need to be aware of that a wet slip brings into play?

Thanks

Jon

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Considering a wet slip - Got a question

I am getting a new boat and my wife and I believe we will use the boat much more if it is wet slip versus trailered. With that in mind I was speeking with a friend who said I will need to paint the bottom of by brand new boat to prevent barnical growth. Is this required. How often would I need to pull he boat out of the water to maintain a clean hull.

The boat will be a 22' Chaparral
It will be in saltwater (Virginia Beach area)

Any other maintenance consideration I need to be aware of that a wet slip brings into play?

Thanks

Jon
Definite GOOD solid bottom paint (ablative will need re coat in time..wears off with a lot of high speed running)
A good outdrive paint package. Both should be done by pro's in a boatyard. And keep up with the zincs.
And a Saltaway or similar flushing package a must.
It being a 22, and if you have close access to a launch, pull after 6 weeks and power wash the rear end...it gets pretty ugly back there. A pic of mine after 10 weeks in Puget Sound ..
S5302330.jpg

S5302328.jpg

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hard leeching cuprous oxide bottom paint (don't go with ablative you'll regret it on a power boat) definitely treat the outdrive and make sure everything is bonded via zincs.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Hard leeching cuprous oxide bottom paint (don't go with ablative you'll regret it on a power boat) definitely treat the outdrive and make sure everything is bonded via zincs.
Yep, ...stop by Boaters world, or West, and pick a brochure (really a book), on bottom paint...

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

Well, you guys have done an very adequate job of convincing me (whether you were trying to or not) to dry dock my boat. I love the idea of just jumping in the boat at the wet slip and going and also the dock atmosphere, but I can see bottom painting a brand new boat like this. I have read many thread about trying to get it back to its original 'look' after bottom painting and apparently it is hard if not impossible.

We will try dry docking for a year and see how it goes. I am sure we will still use it more than if we trailered. My only hesitation with dry docking is the time you have to wait for you boat on the weekends in our area. Some busy days it is an hour and you cannot call ahead on Fri-Sun.

Thanks for the input and knowledge.

Jon

180shabah

Rear Admiral

My only hesitation with dry docking is the time you have to wait for you boat on the weekends in our area. Some busy days it is an hour and you cannot call ahead on Fri-Sun.

Time delay isn't much different than the trailer guys see.

5 min hooking up trailer
15-40 min launching boat, parking truck, walking back to ramp(ramo is also busy wknds)
15-40 min walking to truck, retrieving boat, prepping for travel
5 min unhooking the trailer.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Once you paint the bottom of your boat there is no going back. It will have to be redone every few years. Not sure how large your boat is but if its on a trailer its probably not beyond the capability of a lift. What I would do is get a boat lift. They make them large enough to lift boats weighing 10000 pounds or more. the bolt up right to the dock and inside the slip. This will lift the whole boat and the drive out of the water.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

The boat will be a 22' Chaparral. The marina does not allow lifts on thier slips. I think I have decided to go to Dry Docking it there and dealing with a little wait time on the weekends. Like 180shabah said, it won't be any longer that the trailering option.

Thanks,

Jon

mattttt25

Commander

I'll never trailer a boat again. IMO, you can't beat the ability to just jump on the boat and go. Heck, I can be diving home from work, make a quick detour, and be out on the water in 5 minutes.

But you do have to look at the situation. With that boat, most owners will trailer. So it will hurt you in resale. I also don't like the idea of a slipped boat and i/o's. You'll see plenty that do it, but I wouldn't. Outboard or staright inboard is much better for slipped boats.

But trust me, when you get the opportunity to slip a boat, you won't go back.

salty87

Commander

are you getting a trailer?

slips rock, no doubt. but, you're going to be roped into marina gas too. even with dry stack. i weighed those options and went with the trailer. it's paid for itself over the years on gas savings alone. add to that the ability to work on it and clean it in the driveway and to go to other lakes but i'm lucky that there are a few to chose from. did have to get a truck though.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

I am not geting a trailer with the boat, it is too much. I will start shoping for a trailer next year. Problem is I have no where to store a trailer at my house and I do not want to pay to store it at the marina to only use it a couple times a year. The dealer/marina I am buying my boat said they can rent out loaner trailers for wekend or week trips.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

If I didn't have my slip, I would sell my boats. We have our own launch and marina. I don't leave my little Flatbottom rocket in, thats for a afternoon blast..easy in and out. My 20 foot goes in at the beginning of the season (yanked every 3 weeks for a scrub..no bottom paint), and after the 4th July, the big boat goes in for 10 weeks or so. I run my rattrap honda scooter down with a 5 gallon can for more gas.
In the summer, I zip down (takes a minute), with a 6pack and just sit and watch the other boats go by burning gas, or watch the launch for the entertainment!
Paint the bottom, do the slip..you will NOT regret it.