Considering a Stingray 198LX

jemhanlo

Recruit
Hello All: New to the forum. I've been contemplating a new (leftover) 198LX. I have a few questions; 1: How reliable are these boats? Any major issues with the Mercruiser engine and stern drive? I've always owned an outboard so I have zero experience with a stern drive. 2: I'm concerned with the draft specifications. What are the minimum depths all of you have experienced with this boat without running aground? I'm in west central FL and the gulf is quite shallow. 3: What is your overall rating of the quality of the Stingray 198LX? 0-5, 0=bad - 5=good? I realize it's a lot of information for a forum but this is where unbiased information is typical. Enjoy your day.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What Mercruiser model and engine?

Welcome to the forum.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

stingrays build light/fast boats that are great in calm water. they are not a high-end builder, they are also not a bottom feeder builder either.

they will beat you to death in chop. not enough deadrise on the hull.

there are three types of boaters in the Florida Gulf.....those that have run aground, those that will run aground, and those that lie about not running aground. youre going to run aground, make sure you have Boat US or Sea Tow towing insurance.

jemhanlo

Recruit
Thank You both for the responses:

1. The dealer website states the engine is: MERCURY 4.5MPI200A.
2. You are correct about running aground in the gulf. I have run aground in my current boat several times, a 1997 19' Maxum bow rider with 120 outboard. Although in the past several years I've been lucky not running aground. However, I'm looking for minimum depths for a stern drive specifically the Stingray 198LX. I need 2ft with my Maxum, I'm guessing 3ft or better with the Stingray or any stern drive but I'm not sure.

jemhanlo

Recruit
Thank You for the link. I've actually visited this site previously but never read the specs on the Max draft (drive up) as 18". According to the Maxum specifications for my boat, the draft is the same. So, technically both boats need about 2ft. of water to operate at no wake.