considering a regal

Re: considering a regal

This is almost a dead ringer for my '02 2150 LSC. I have a cuddy and a 5.0L Merc, giving me a little more weight, but I do have the FasTrac hull design (stepped hull).

My most sincere recomendation is to demo the boat at cruise and WOT speeds running through different trim angles with the outdrive. I am currently trying to get mine to break 40mph because it seems like that hull puts too much air under the boat for the prop to get a good bite. I have tried a 21, 19, and 17 pitch 3-blade aluminum so far, and will probably test a few stainless jobs next weekend. While I tap the trim a little at a time and reach that fine line of what the prop will let me do, I can instantly feel the boat "sag" and the rpms start to climb. All of this happens at speeds well within the reasonable limits of the boat.

Regal has a very good build quality, and we have been impressed with ours with the exception of the prop/hull difficulties. Materials are excellent and fit and finish is above average. We have to put the trailer in the ramp a little farther to ensure the stepped hull doesn't snag the bunks, but experience is proving to be helpful in dealing with its characteristics.​

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Link works foir me now. My last boat was that boat's twin. I ran three very different props on it, all successfully, and we loved the boat. I can't help but think that there must be something wrong with your particualr boat, imoutnumbered. Maybe there's something protruding from the hull just ahead of the prop.

Some things I noticed about that model:

A good cover is a must for these boats, they tend to let rain water stand in the aft corners. The ski lockers generally lack adequate fiberglass cloth and develop stress cracks that allows water into the foam under the locker sole. Easy fix, but something to use to reduce the price. The side windpow trim tends to crack.

Judd9227

Recruit

I am currently trying to get mine to break 40mph because it seems like that hull puts too much air under the boat for the prop to get a good bite.​

Yeah...there's got to be something else going on with your boat. I've ran a 2200 with a 5.0 and it was well into the upper 40's top end.:confused:

After a fair amount of research and some testing, the cause of the problem could be the operator. :eek: Well, maybe just the inexperience. I was running short on the RPMs, so there's more speed to be had with the props that were on there, but I am going to pick up a couple stainless ones to demo this weekend--and will run higher RPMs in doing so. We'll know shortly, but I have a hunch this will be rectified in the very near future.

Lets Fish: I am going to my in-laws' shop today and can check the book values for you, will private message you later today.

Last edited: