Considering 1992 Bayliner 3058 Command Bridge - what to look out for?

eleventh

Recruit
Hello,
I am considering purchasing a 1992 Bayliner command bridge 3058. This would be my first glass boat and my first bayliner so I'm just wondering what to look out for. I've been an aluminum boat person for decades so I've never had to think about stringers or anything like that.

What are some gotchas with glass boats in general or bayliners or this model specifically? Things to look out for or to double/triple check?

Thanks

airshot

Rear Admiral
I would spend the money on a good marine surveyor, way to many things to hide without one !!

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
The largest issue with all glass boats is wood rot. The rot can happen in any part of the boat where wood is encased in glass. If maintenance is kept up and checks done, then boat can last a lifetime.

As airshot mentioned, with not knowing about glass boats, a reputable surveyor would be the way to go. Also note that Bayliner has never been known to be a top quality made boat, but that said many made in the 70's are still running

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Agree with the above. When I was big boat shopping (20 years ago) I found a nice one but my surveyor discovered some serious problems that would’ve cost a fortune to fix. Not happy, but it was money well spent.

Most competent surveys are two part- dry and wet, so it will require a haul out. It should include inspection of the hull out of the water as well as in water, along with a mechanical and performance test.

I eventually found my current boat that passed the survey with flying colors. See the Silverton in my Media.
Another thing- insurance companies will require a pre-purchase survey (especially on an older boat) before covering. Just do it before buying.