connecting a kicker motor to main motor

Keep'nitreel

Cadet
I've picked up a new boat the boat came with a kicker mounted to the transom in the center. this boat is a inboard tunnel drive single screw. the kicker was never connected to the steering system. so how do i connect them together?

Attachments

• IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: connecting a kicker motor to main motor

Have you tried it as is? With the kicker straight ahead it might steer well enough.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. While you can link two outboards, I don't think you can/should/would want to connect it to the out drive. It's best to keep your kicker operation as simple as possible and run it as is.

Keep'nitreel

Cadet

It does not steer at all with the kicker held strait on its own. Kfa4303 there is no out drive just a prop behind a rudder.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Tunnel drive? Penn Yan I guess. Haven't seen one of them running in many years. As such there is no practical way to connect to the steering. The good news is that its center mounted to it should steer port or stbd very easy. Plan on sitting midships and using the tiller.

Maybe add a tiller extension if you have high freeboard.

To those that haven't a clue about a tunnel drive, its sorta like a jetski without a wear ring and a rudder instead of a movable nozzle.