Connecting a 2nd gas tank to a Mercury 40hp 4 stroke

notesafloat

Recruit
I recently bought a 15' Quasar skiff (1991) powered by a 40hp 4-stroke Merc (2014). It came with a 6 gallon gas tank. I launched it today and used it for the 1st time - It performed great. But I'd like to connect a 2nd tank (5 or 6 gallons) to the engine to extend my range or time on the water.
Can this be done easily? What components will I need?
Thanks in advance.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

The easiest way is to swap the fuel hose to the motor from the empty tank to the full one. Any other way means adding fuel line plumbing and the possibility of leaks, both fuel and air.

notesafloat

Recruit
Welcome aboard.

The easiest way is to swap the fuel hose to the motor from the empty tank to the full one. Any other way means adding fuel line plumbing and the possibility of leaks, both fuel and air.
It's not easy to swap fuel lines since, on a Merc 40hp 4-stroke, the shroud has to be removed to disconnect the fuel line.
Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

• E6A2FF83-956F-45A4-96D8-CC557116903D.jpeg
    E6A2FF83-956F-45A4-96D8-CC557116903D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
It's not easy to swap fuel lines since, on a Merc 40hp 4-stroke, the shroud has to be removed to disconnect the fuel line.
Thanks for your reply.
You swap at the tank, not at the engine. All it takes is a quick disconnect setup. See "D" and "E" in the pic below. I have this same setup and it only takes a couple of seconds to change tanks.

fuel connectors.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for your reply.
I said swap the hose between the tanks.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Easy Peasy. I have linked multiple tanks on every outboard boat I ever owned.

IBoats sells a "kit". My Whaler sports the one in the picture. I used the valve with 3 inputs and merely plugged the one I didn't need.

Obviously, you need a couple sections of approved fuel line and hose barbs and clamps. I have yet to ever see a leak. OTOH, on hot days there is always a bit of pressure in the system and there will ALWAYS be a few drops of gas spilled when you switch fuel lines.

(PS - the valve in the pic costs $19)

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for your reply.
millions of boaters simply swap the hose between the tanks. one motor, one hose, unplug from one tank, plug into the next. you would be the only one that would have two hoses two tanks and one motor.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you have a Merc motor with a Merc tank, then just buy a Merc tank as your second one. When in use, be sure to push the vent button every time you switch tanks, to ensure that you release the pressure. Otherwise you'll be squirting gas all the time.