Connecticut trailer lighting

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a homemade boat trailer that will be going in for inspection next week, to have a VIN assigned. The only lighting I have on the trailer is stop/tail/turn signals.

The trailer is under 80" wide. Do I need any additional lights such as amber lights/reflectors on the front portion, or red reflectors near the back side? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW this is in the wonderful State of Connecticut. :rolleyes:

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Connecticut trailer lighting

N.E. state trailer laws
You did not mention licence plate light, no need for daytime towing. but....
Reflectors are cheap. Personally I want everyone around me to know I have a trailer, especially at night.

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply Nova. Yes I do have a license plate light as well. Those laws give a brief Y/N answer, but I was looking for something more descriptive. I do not know if you are from CT but they seem to be meticulous around here.

I was looking for the type of reflectors/lights/colors and locations.

This is also classified as a homemade trailer so the lighting requirements are different it seems.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is a diagram showing what lights are required and placement. The forward markers are amber. Rear markers (side light) is usually part of the tail light assembly. If not, you need a separate marker.

Trailerunder80-inWide.jpg

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Silvertip,
May I ask you where you got the diagram from? And are the ambers, lights or reflectors?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I grabbed them off the web for a project but I would have to search for them again. Lamps are required in virtually any state. Marker (side) light are about two bucks each at any farm store or department store that sells trailer and auto parts.

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Silvertip,

I will just add the front ambers seeing they are so cheap, and simple to install. Seeing they are required.......:)

When I reg my trailer (also in ct) about 5 years ago they told me I needed 3 lighted ambers across the tail. Don"t have a tape handy, but I think its under 80". I remember them measuring from out side of wheels. Also at least 2 amber (reflector or lit) on each side. They gave me the reg under the condition that I put the lights on when I got home.Nice guys, maby I'll get to it this summer.
jeff