Confused on pontoon transom shaft length

Simplysix

Cadet
The guy selling it said it’s for a 25” shaft. I assume because he measuring from the transom to the bottom of the toon. But it sits back about a foot so I’m thinking it’s supposed to be a 15 or 20” shaft. I was hoping to buy it to make my twin toon a tritoon. But I wanna make sure my 20” motor will still work

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get a jack plate. that notch is to run a short shaft motor in shallow area.

remember, every 4" back from that vertical flat area on the toon log at the bottom, means your anti-cav plate goes up 1" (typical setback rules of thumb)

your 20" motor may still sit too low.

Simplysix

Cadet
Get a jack plate. that notch is to run a short shaft motor in shallow area.

remember, every 4" back from that vertical flat area on the toon log at the bottom, means your anti-cav plate goes up 1" (typical setback rules of thumb)

your 20" motor may still sit too low.
Thank you for help!

The pontoon has some decent dents but no leaks. Any idea how much the dents would effect speed? Obviously I’d increase buoyancy, but I’d like to not lose any mph

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The pontoon has some decent dents but no leaks. Any idea how much the dents would effect speed? Obviously I’d increase buoyancy, but I’d like to not lose any mph
adding a 3rd log means you are going up 50% in drag. you are going to loose speed unless you add power.