ConFUSED about wiring and fuses!

spinfly

Cadet
Have you ever bought a project that had been "torn down", and been left wondering how to put it back together?

I just did! :eek: :facepalm:

I have a 1996 G3 Sierra Pro aluminum bass boat, with a 1996 Suzuki DT40 with console remote steering. Apparently a previous owner had some issue with the electric tilt/trim & bypassed some of the fuseblock.:eek: Furthermore, the fuseblock is NOT labeled whatsoever.:facepalm: I have been unsuccessful in finding a wiring diagram for my setup on the internet. I purchased the '83-'97 Suzuki Service Repair manual, but have only pinpointed general electrical troubleshooting tips.

What should I do to configure the wiring to the fuseblock correctly? Is there a "standard" configuration that is common for a rig like mine?

And/Or.....

Does anyone have a detailed troubleshooting process or know of a good reference for getting things back to the factory configuration?:confused: I have a moderate understanding of DC electricity, and I'm armed with a testlight and a multimeter! Thank you for taking the time to read my woes!
Generation III Sierra ProWeld 16 155.jpg

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: ConFUSED about wiring and fuses!

Now is your perfect opportunity to rewire and make sure it's done correctly. Start from the battery and work out, installing a fuse block and ground buss bar. Use the 'sticky' at the top of this forum for a general wiring diagram.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I believe the wiring standards are on the ABYC website. If the color codes were adheared to by the manufacturer you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what's what from that. The controls and the engine harness are engine specific for the most part. You're manual should be able to tell what color does what once you get into that.

For the most part, red is battery positive, black is battery negative, yellow with a red stripe is starter, gray is tach, purple is "key on 12v" accessories, orange is "constant 12v" accessories after the fuse panel, white is nav/anchor lights (sometimes), Blue is dash lights (gauges, etc. and is "key on 12v" and usually not fused but you can if you want. The trim can be determined by looking closely at the trim relays.

I don't know how much that will help you if it's been hacked up but you can test with a multi meter and get a pretty good idea. It usually throws people when I say battery negative but in a closed battery circuit you don't typically use a ground. You can and some think the motor is a ground when it's in the water but that only applies in salt water.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are two electrical systems on your boat. The engine system consists of the large battery cables that go to the engine and the wiring from the engine to the console. That wiring is in the FACTORY published service manual, That wiring also powers the gauges. There should also be two #10 or #8 gauge wires that directly feed the fuse panel. All other accessories are powered from that panel. Here is a typical wiring diagram.

InstrumentPanelWiring.jpg

Here is typical swich & device wiring & current flow.

LightingCircuit.jpg

and another version of the overall concept

Basicwiring.jpg

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

The tilt & trim is powered by the motor's electrical system, and doesn't run through the fuse panel.

spinfly

Cadet

Thank each and eveyone of you who took the time to read and offer helpful suggestions to my situation!
Thank you Fireman431 :cool:, sschefer :cool:, Silvertip :cool:, and NYBo :cool:!

You guys have offered some valuable pieces of information that probably would have taken me a while longer to grasp. It really helps to read your written advice as well as looking at the diagrams. I'm the type that has to have things explained/shown in different ways to understand something.

Thanks again for helping out a newb! You guys rock!