CONDENSER TEST

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: CONDENSER TEST

Yes. You can do it with an ohm meter. Any range will do. Connect one meter lead to the condenser lead and the other meter lead to the condenser case. Watch the meter. The meter needle should deflect up and then drop back to infinity. If it doesn't, condenser is bad.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Brucy, I always did the test that OBJ mentions, and immediately follow it with a second test. I switch the meter leads and switch to a low voltage DC scale. The condenser should provide a momentary surge of voltage. Condensers are just capaciters, which store voltage temporarily.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

If my memory serves me, and it may not, but I believe you need to use an analog meter for a proper test.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep....analogs are best for this test. You can see the needle movement.

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

This test works best using a lawn mower or something similar to supply the juice. Take the condenser to be tested and set it on good ground. Take the plug wire off the plug and put the condenser lead up in the boot so that there is a little gap for the spark to jump to the condenser lead. Pull the plug wire off the condenser lead and using some insulated pliers flex the condenser terminal around close to the condenser body. If the condenser is good you will get a spark.<br /><br />Please do not leave charged up condensers laying around where some other unsuspecting practical joker might pick it up. :D