Concrete - woohoo!

mscher

Lieutenant
We sold our suburban Colorado home (job loss) and purchased an old farmhouse in Indiana, with about 1/2 the square footage. I also gave up my deluxe 2-car garage. Needless to say, space is a real issue and keeping tack of tools etc., is a challenge.<br /><br />Since I gave the detached 1-car garage to my wife to store her stuff (piano, etc), I have the old 25 x 40 barn, to to with whataver I can, but since money is pretty tight, major restoration is on hold.<br /><br />The barn has a "concrete" floor, which in it's day was 1-2" poured over rocks. Much of it is busted up and down to the dirt in the usuable areas of the barn. It will cost about $400 for concrete to fix the really bad areas.<br /><br />We also have had to be very careful, since Indiana humidity and dirt floors cause a lot of rust and mold issues.<br /><br />Just for the heck of it, I started scraping away some of the dirt piles in a smaller area and started finding a smooth surface underneath. For some reason, this dirt was piled on top of "GOOD CONCRETE"!!.<br /><br />I now have a 14' 6" x 25' area with a smooth concrete floor and sliding door at both ends.<br /><br />Can you say "Marty's Garage"?<br /><br />Life IS good!

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Concrete - woohoo!

Haha! Reminds me of one of my Uncles house. Get this - <br />He buys this house that isn't worth the cost of the fleet of dumpsters to put it in, and starts looking around at the place to see what needs to be done. Down the basment, he notes the rotten, carpeted floor and the 6'6" ceilings. He assumes the floor had been slapped down over dirt, so to fix the basement a concrete floor needs to be placed and the house jacked up an extra foot to improve the head room. We tear up the rotten floor, and there's a second rotted carpeted floor underneat. And then there's another. And another.<br />1' 6" worth of rotted floors later, he strikes a nice concrete floor in excellent shape. I can see how one irresponsible person might bang a floor over top of a rotting one, but to have it happen so many times... <br /><br />We saved a solid section of the floors for a time. It was like tree-rings.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Being a guy is fun.....don't take much to make us happy....like finding a smooth finished concrete floor. :D :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Now that is all what I call GOOD NEWS. :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Ya gotta have something to roll the floor jack and creepers on. They just don't work good on gravel and dirt. That is some good news.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Say that's a barn? That might not be "dirt" you been scraping off....just a thought.

one more cast

Captain

yea marty, put that "dirt" in a pile and plant some pumpkins in it. I bet they will grow really good. :D

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

The gals may never get it, but your own barn is a wonderful thing. Your own retreat to enjoy the peacefulness of quiet (or your favorite music as loud as you like) and to be able to use to maintain your sanity as well as actually do some worthwhile things like fix stuff and keep the boat. A workshop where you can actually find your tools and build things. Where you don't have to trip over the kids toys and bicycles or the wife's junk. Your very own all masculine space. Guy friendly. What a concept! How truly significant! Good deal, Marty.<br /><br />Hope you get to go ahead with the renovations soon. The job loss bites, but hopefully you'll soon see a silver lining to that dark cloud. I sure did with mine. In my case we get by with a little less but life is sure a lot more fun than it used to be. Difficult circumstances are just the pathway toward better circumstances and greater maturity. (At least I hope I've gained more maturity- I have more gray hair now, does that count? :D )