Concerned about 'new' powerhead

bbach

Seaman Apprentice
A boat I am planning to look at has a '86 120 Johnson with a '95 powerhead. Should I be concerned that the powerhead was replaced or is this a positive? Anything specific, other than a compression check, I should look for?<br /><br />Thanks. -- Bud

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Concerned about 'new' powerhead

Welcome!!<br /><br />If thats true it went from a small bore to a big bore looper. Thats a good thing although theres nothing wrong with the small bore. It should have the updated cooling system with no throttle control valve behind the throttle arm on the block. And thermostat covers with no hoses.<br /><br />It probably still has the 1986 ignition which is OK but youll just have to order ignition parts as a 1986. No big deal.

G DANE

Commander

I would remove the drain plug at the lower unit too and let a drop or two drip out to check if ist milky by water intrusion, or black and old ( better than water intrusion, but showing lack of maintenance )

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply! Is this how to identify the newer powerhead:<br /><br />"It should have the updated cooling system with no throttle control valve behind the throttle arm on the block. And thermostat covers with no hoses."<br /><br />For all I know, it could have just been a rebuild in '95.<br /><br />Also, thanks for the tip on checking the lower unit.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

On the powerhead look at where the head and block meet. At the top, part of the head gasket will stick out. Like a tab. Is the tab straight across or is there a notch cut out?

DHPMARINE

Captain

Was the powerhead replaced with a 95 120 powerhead or a 86 120 rebuilt powerhead in 95?<br /><br />DHP

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

DHP, Not sure. I'm going to try to check that out tomorrow. -- Bud