computor monitor

dansoph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
any opions please about flat screen monitors. i'm looking to save $$$. so i'm thinking refurbushed?? any good ( reliable ) web sites ? do the big stores sell anything cheap? what about brand names? whats junk and whats to expensive. thanks for any and all opinions. dan

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: computor monitor

any opions please about flat screen monitors. i'm looking to save $$$. so i'm thinking refurbushed?? any good ( reliable ) web sites ? do the big stores sell anything cheap? what about brand names? whats junk and whats to expensive. thanks for any and all opinions. dan

I am assuming you are talking about LCD monitors. Just want you to know you get what you pay for. Just had an experience with a Dell 19' LCD at work that was so bad, I was going to buy my own monitor and bring it in. With LCD monitors, you really need to run them at their native resolution for text to be sharp. You can get away with running larger LCDs at non-native resolution that have native resolutions of 1600x1200 at lower resolutions but 19" monitors that are 1280x1024 look really poor at lower resolutions.

If it wasn't that CRT monitors are so darn big, I would prefer them over LCD.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I very much disagree with bruce on this one. I agree that the display needs to be set to the monitors native resolution......................BUT there are some good deals out there. Despite what you may think, you don't have to pay Sony price for decent LCD. For me personally I would never get a refurbished unit though.

I paid roughly $165 for a 19" widescreen LCD that I absolutely love. It absolutely blows the picture on my laptop sitting next to it away. I went with an Envision. A comparable Sony is $3-400. That being said the trained eye can tell the difference inpicture quality, but you most certainly will not once you get it home. I have the opportunity of dealing with 30 different LCDs monitors on a given day. They don't have issues like they used to. Problems are becoming more and more rare. Most returns are based strictly on the consumer not making the correct resolution adjustments.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Pony,

You are correct that you don't have to spend a lot but some of the lower price monitors leave a lot to be desired.

Which model Envision did you purchase?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would not consider that monitor to be a low end monitor. Low end monitors are typically below $150. Although you paid less, the monitor you have typically sells for over $200.

Although not always, a good rule of thumb for a decent monitor is if it has a DVI connection.

For my work I was going to buy the Viewsonic 22" widescreen that they had at Costco on sale for $249 until they found a higher quality monitor for me.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Constantly watch tigerdirect.com for their sale stuff. Even sign up to get the sale ad emailed to you. The 19 inch Hanns-G plasma screen monitor I am working on now was 99 bucks after rebate. It has plenty of resolution, and the color ain't bad either. Now, I have always been a utilitarian - I don't need things unless it has a purpose, and I didn't actually choose to buy this, but it, surprisingly, has been a lot better than any conventional monitor I have ever used. I doubt I will ever go back, yet, a year and a half ago, I would have never dreamed of owning something like this (okay, maybe nightmares. I take pride in being utilitarian(except with boats - looks matter there) and would be ashamed to own stuff like this, but I really like the desk space, and it doesn't kill your eyes like the conventional monitors/TVs. I guess there is some utilitarian personality built into it:D)