Computer CD Burner Question

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer
I have burned many CD's before but never quesitoned the speed. Whats the difference between burning and 4X speed to 40x speed?

eeboater

Commander
Re: Computer CD Burner Question

Mega difference!! Here's a good example. I often burn large amounts of data onto DVD's. I used to have a 4x DVD burner. When I upgraded to the 8x DVD burner, it cut my burning time from 15 minutes to around 7 minutes.<br /><br />The difference between 4x and 40x would be VERY dramatic. There used to be an issue with burning errors when you burned at high speeds, but I think that CD burning has been around for a while and the reliability of it has increased greatly as well.<br /><br />Sean

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

So it has to do with the amount of time it takes to burn the CD.<br />I was just wondering becaus the one I have give you the option of burning at different selections.<br />4x, 8x,......40x<br /><br />In theory if you burn at 4x there is less chance of errors.

eeboater

Commander

Yeah, there is less chance -- but I have a 24x in my laptop and I burn at that speed all the time. I say crank it up to 40x. The time you save will be noticible and worth it. If one gets screwy every so often, eh, who cares. CD's are DIRT cheap nowadays. You can get a ream of 100 for 20 bucks.<br /><br />Sean

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

4x burning will take 15 minutes or more.<br />40x burning, about 2 minutes.<br /><br /><br />As an example, if you were to burn 60 minutes of music to a cd, at 1x speed, it would take an hour.<br /><br />At 2x, you are burning at 2 times the playback speed, so about 30 minutes burn time.<br />At 10x, you are burning at 10 times the playback speed, so it would take a little over 6 minutes.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Yeah, there is less chance -- but I have a 24x in my laptop and I burn at that speed all the time. I say crank it up to 40x. The time you save will be noticible and worth it. If one gets screwy every so often, eh, who cares. CD's are DIRT cheap nowadays. You can get a ream of 100 for 20 bucks.<br /><br />Sean
Thanks for the info buddy. You learn something new every day. <br />What kind of Jeep you drive?<br />Got a 98 Wrangler.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> 4x burning will take 15 minutes or more.<br />40x burning, about 2 minutes.<br /><br /><br />As an example, if you were to burn 60 minutes of music to a cd, at 1x speed, it would take an hour.<br /><br />At 2x, you are burning at 2 times the playback speed, so about 30 minutes burn time.<br />At 10x, you are burning at 10 times the playback speed, so it would take a little over 6 minutes.
Great explanation Roscoe. Thanks for the info.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by Big Poppa G:<br /> What kind of Jeep you drive?<br />Got a 98 Wrangler.
One of my favorite subjects!! :D <br /><br />I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 1979 Jeep CJ7 Levi Edition.<br /><br />Sean<br /><br />
1393941-IMG_2277.jpg

LubeDude

Admiral

Another thing you need to concider is that sometimes if you burn at a higher speed and want to get data off them on a slower machine there can be problems.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Non-boating tech topic.