compression

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice
My Belgian Evinrude 8 hp ser #B 88998688 is balky starting, though it runs fair. It is a salt water engine that i hate to dismantle, but i suspect that it has been run overheated. Is there a compression psi minimum that to determine if it needs to be dismantled? Decarb didn't seem to help.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: compression

There's no published minimum or normal specification. Since compression testers and testing procedures vary, I suppose that makes sense.<br />Generally speaking, no more than a 10% variation between cylinders and better than 90psi compression indicates a healthy engine. There are exceptions though. Tell us what you find.<br />Salt water run engines only require more patience than fresh water ones. And a good set of drill bits. :)

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice

I'm getting closer to 50 psi. Any advice on preventing breaking off studs and bolts, and do i need to dismntle the whole powerhead to get at the rod journals on that engine?

Paul Moir

Admiral

If the engine overheated, there's a good chance the head gasket blew. I would start there anyway, since you'll be able to guage the condition of the cylinder walls when you can actually see them.<br /><br />Yes, you need to dismantle virtually the entire engine to get at the rod journals. <br /><br />Removing stuck fastners is tricky, but there's lots of things you can do to prevent breaking them. First, a day before you even touch the engine, hit all the bolts with penetrating oil. Then if you run into ones that are still stuck, heat the area where the bolt passes into liberally with a propane torch. It is very difficult to melt aluminum when just using propane. An impact driver (looks like a large screwdriver that you hit with a hammer) can be your best friend. Actually, second best - the torch is the most important tool.<br /><br />Just to make sure you're testing properly, you are pulling the engine over 4 or five times while taking your readings, right? So they're topping out at 50psi?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Jim - I suggest that you try a different compression tester. To my limited knowledge to have two cylinders @ 50 psi would be very rare.

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the quick responses, and i agree with you both, but it's nice to have your reassurance and guidance. I will be following the advice and be in touch.

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice

With my new compression tester i read 35 psi in the lower cyl. and 60 in the upper. A shot of lube oil into the cylinders, with the pistons facing skyward brought the lower up to 55 and the upper to 100 psi. Another similar motor has 80 psi in both cylinders, though i have not tried the oil trick on it yet. Ideas? Guess i better get out the torch for engine #1, eh?