Compression Test.......

oonighttrain

Seaman
this may sound like a stupid question but, my buddy is finding it hard to believe..

when doing a compression test, if you put some oil in the cylinders and the compression reads higher, proves you have a problem in the cylinder (rings etc..) not the head.. true???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Compression Test.......

Not necessarily, oo. There will be an increase even if the rings are in perfect shape, just not as much as with a lot of blowby.

A leakdown test is a much more reliable method of checking the rings.

oonighttrain

Seaman

Not necessarily, oo. There will be an increase even if the rings are in perfect shape, just not as much as with a lot of blowby.

A leakdown test is a much more reliable method of checking the rings.

well.. i should have worded it differently.. my #1 cylinder went from about 15 psi. to over 100 psi. would you guess rings and/or worn cylinder?? gotta be the cylinder is screwed, cuz we just put rings in it...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

15psi to 100psi? Yeah, I would think I was in trouble as soon as I got the 15psi. No need to add oil.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

i bet you loaded up your compression gauge with oil :)

seen that happen a hundred times.... even blew up one of mine that way years ago.

now i don't even bother with oil in the cyls..... if i got low compression I spin that cylinder up to tdc, throw a piston stop in another cylinder, and break out the leakdown tester.