compression test question

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice
I was reading a few posts about Comp testing.

I am unclear regarding the grounding of the spark plugs. My ignition does not have a lanyard. How do I ground the plugs to avoid ignition damage.

Do I remove all plugs for head and also wire, or keep the plugs in the wire but out of the head?

Thanks guys.

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice
Re: compression test question

So, remove all plugs from head then insert bolts into plug boots and attach bolts to motor for ground.

Is it safe to key ckank then?

saumon

Lieutenant

You'll get a better, more accurate reading if you remove all plugs from the head. Grounding is done with a wire(s) with alligator clips on both ends. One onto a bolt head on the block and the other on the sparkplug end, wich is still on the boot. That way:

1- you won't damage your electronics (like coils)
2- you won't experience a ?fireball? (fuel/oil mix thrown in the air by the sparkplug hole while cranking and ignited by an ungrounded sparkplug lead)

SC1650

Seaman

Please explain to me how you would damage the electronics by not grounding the plug wires. I have been doing automobiles for years and have never grounded a plug wire yet when checking compression on the engine. In fact I just checked the compression on my 7.5 horse and did not ground the plug wires and both coils are fine. Am I missing something here or is everyone just being over cautious????

Steve

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice

saumon,

What an awesome, detailed reply.

Thanks,

no fire balls wanted here!!!!!!

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a difference from a "closed" and "open" ignition system. Marine outboards are like PWC's "closed ignition system" the charge or sprak needs to be grounded through the block or your coil will be overcharged and burn out. Yes, you can do it without grounding your plug wires but repeated over and over, then you will have a problem.

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice

I take it with grounded spark plugs i can keep ignition in tack and crank with key?

Bill Kilgore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fire extinguisher is your friend.
Fire extinguisher is always handy, with visual confirmation by me, whenever I do compression test. If you have to say to yourself "I wonder where that thing is?" It could prove to be a bad day.

Just my two cents

scottkell

Cadet

Why not just kill the ignition by pulling out the safety lanyard. You can crank it all day long with no ignition.

saumon

Lieutenant

It may help to read the OP question: he say he doesn't have a lanyard.

My ignition does not have a lanyard. How do I ground the plugs to avoid ignition damage.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

CDI sells the right tool for this job. It's a pre-made unit that simply plugs into the plug wires with a double ground system. You can use it to do what you need to do and whenver you need to check spark. I hesitated to buy one thinking I would only use it once or twice. I can't even count how many times I've used it now... Well worth the investment.

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice
Re: compression test question (Thanks)

Re: compression test question (Thanks)

Thanks everyone for the comments. Well here are the results...

Got to the boat and again no start and lots of gas in the water :(

I did the compression test (cold) and got 95 on all 3. At that point I lowered the engine back down and, what do you know, it started right up. hmmmm.. Never thought the compression test would solve the problem. lol Well at that point i noticed another leak in the fuel line between the top and middle carp. Replaced that and it ran well. I also did the decab and it now starts up without juicing it.

I did realize that the decarb process is not really meant to do in the water because it does creat quite a slick around my boat. Is that gas or just carb junk that comes out.

THanks again.