compression readings

terry2626

Seaman
i have a 1963 Johnson 40hp model RK-25D I was wondering what should be a good reading on the compression check? I have yet to do one, but was going to soon and really wanted to know what wass good to have. Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: compression readings

You would be looking for 100+ psi, even readings on both cylinders.

dness

Cadet

Hey Joe, What compression should I see on a 1989 200hp Johnson? I checked all 6 and one is about 80-81 lbs, one is 89lb and all the others are 85 +/- 1lb. The engine has been rebuilt apparently 'cause I see the number 030 stamped on all the cylinders. Is there any hope for this thing or is it toast?

jethro66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay if mine is 120 -105 its no good? should I use sea foam

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Dness... A 1989 200hp V6 should have approximately 95 psi on the starboard bank and 90 psi on the port bank. No, I do not know why there's a 5 psi difference between the banks but that's the nature of the animal.

Obviously the engine's been rebuilt but it's highly unusual to have "all" the cylinders rebored. Whether it's toast or not depends on its present performance, whether the cylinders were bored properly, and the condition of the cylinder walls and pistons.

You've got 9 psi difference between the lowest and highest reading.... not too bad, pretty close I'd say.

Jethro66.... You have 15 psi difference in the compression reading. Yes, it would be a good idea to try Sea Foam.

Dness and Jethro66..... Rather than add to someone elses topic, it would be better to start your own. As it stands, both of your questions are pretty well buried which will be missed by many other members. I just happed to stumble across them.

dness

Cadet

Joe....Thanks a bunch for your help! I'll start a fresh subject next time I need more info. And you are right about the compression being lower on the port side. The bottom cylinder on that side was my lowest reading and my highest reading was on the starboard side. These readings were done with the engine cold and out of the water. Should the motor be warmed up for an accurate test?