compressed music

rbh

Fleet Admiral
With compressed music I find you loose alot of the sounds that you would expect from a digital CD.
I think we have been using MP3 compression, is this the right way or wrong way to digitize the music to your harddrive????

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: compressed music

What kind of software are you using rbh? Some software for mp3's can be very poor.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I find compressed music to sound a little "thin"!

LMFAO!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

When you replay the MP3 format, what are you playing it on? Computer speakers? Car CD player? Home stereo?

If you're playing it on the computer, that's where you're problem lies. Use powered speakers and the equalizer program (such as WinAmp) to correct this. When playing back on car CD players, set the radio to suit your fancy (jazz, rock, classical, etc). Home stereo? Use the equalizer.

Ii have over 3000 songs on MP3 format. I play them in the truck and boat. I like the 150+ songs on one CD. All are played through a 250-400 watt amp and the music sounds terrific.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

MP3 will lose some quality, but I think most of the people here have the right idea. The biggest factor is not the compression but the delivery. What player, speakers, etc.

If you are looking for portable and a lot of songs you may need to go MP3. Of course there (portable) the biggest factor will be how you deliver the sound.

If you are on your desktop with good speakers and you don't mind buying big disk drives go ahead with uncompressed. Drives are cheap now. Figure about 635MB of disk space for each hour of music

BTW - if your original copy is in MP3 leave it MP3. People think that they can uncompress something and get the quality back. Once compressed there is some quality loss and you cannot recover it.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Most disk jockeys use mp3's nowadays.
At 256kbs: Bitrate The sound is indiscernible from the original. It is impossible to make the difference with the original recording. "unless you have dog hearing." It makes a big difference on how you make your mp3's.
Most who don't know the difference use 96kbs Bitrate, and the quality is terrible.
I use two different software products in tandem to get High Quality mp3's
Exact Audio Copy and Razor Lame. It takes awhile to convert a CD but it is well worth the time.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

OK, so the musics coming off the i-tunes in my lap top then to a sony 100w per side (old school) amp then out to
bose 901's, and do those bose eat up the wattage.
but if I put in a factory recorded disc I get about 10-15% more/better quality sound.
I am very sure that they have been recorded at 256 kbs.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

If you recorded a mp3 CDdisk made at 256kbs rate, and played it in the same player that you play the factory CD, you should not hear any difference.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

If your only using a 100 watts on the 901's you loosing a lot!!! The last bose 901 set up that I had, I was running carver TFM 25's on each channel, they are a 250 watt amp, where you really loose out with the bose and low wattage amps is in the very highs and the deep lows, you are getting middle spectrum sound, with the low watt amp, the bass will get muddy and the highs will get scratchy..

The 901 series speakers can handle just about anything you throw at them, so as your out and about, look around for some higher powered seperates and you will be amazed at how good they sound. 100 watts a channel is just not enough, which could be a good part of your question about compressed music and quality.

You have to remember the older the bose, the less efficient they are, the foam surrounds on the speakers gets less and less flexible hindering the sound reproduction and requires more and more power. Every set of bose I buy, I get the speaker rebuilt kits off ebay and put them back as close to new as I possibly can, the last rebuild foam surround kit I got was about $36.00 per speaker.

Another thing I will add, when dealing with consumer grade amps, you will loose up to 40% of the actual power rating due to heat and distortion, so even brand new, you might only be getting 60 watts per channel, if it is an old amp, that number is going to go down, heat in the enemy of electronics and they become less efficient the older they get.. So a 10 year old amp that has been used normally might only be putting out an actual 20 watts per channel. That is if it is still running balanced, each channel can deteriorate at a different pace, depending on how it is designed, so you could be getting 20 out of one channel and less or more out of the other channel..

If I were you, I would look around for a couple of older Marantz(sp) amps, they are cheap now a days, but were one of the best in their day, I just saw two of them at our local thrift shop for $10 each. They were rated at 200 watts each, and they are a Warm amp, which brings out the warmth in the speakers.

The more clean power you can give to each one of those speakers, the better all of your sound is going to be..

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Alrighty then, looks liks I am on the hunt for a new amp.
So If you guys see something thats a heck of a good deal let me know.
Thanks

Rob