composite props

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: composite props

Wutcha wanna know? They break, the blades aren't repairable (but some brands have replaceable blades). They are relatively cheap, they perform suprisingly well, and if you hit something with one the gearcase is more likely to survive. I had a ComProp and I liked it a lot. Then I hit something and damaged it and threw it away.

1riptide

Cadet

just ran across them last night saw they were cheap but didnt know really how they preformed. my thought is u should be able to get more speed with it being lighter duno. i curantly have a 13 /19 3 alum this one isaw was the same with 4 blade. like the idea of not killing ower unit

studlymandingo

Commander

I don't think the weight of the prop will really increase performance. The composite props have a bit of "give" which reduces performance a bit.​

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Piranha composite. Performance very similar to the aluminum I had so i sold the aluminum. Each blade is seperaely replaceable which is very nice (haven't broken one yet though). It is a very solid composite material, not at all flimsy.

I now have a SS prop which does perform better. I use the Piranha for certain conditions like unknown waters so i don't ruin my outdrive with the SS and the Piranha is my backup. I keep it disassembled for on-boat storage with the hub and blades in a bag. Great for storage compared to a regular 15" prop that never seems to fit anywhere well!