Composite decking question

FINANDPRAYER

Cadet
Has anyone ever used the composite decking material (plastic wood-like stuff) on their boat?<br /><br />I could use PT or marine ply for this but...<br /><br />I have an area between the bow and middle seat that I am considering using this stuff on. I would have one joist amidships and two hinged pieces 2.5' by 4' that would open fore and aft resting on the joist and my hard chines. The front piece would have my seat pedestal on it and batteries under. I would probably use SS rods and epoxy to join the 5.5" widths instead of stringers on the back.<br /><br />Other than weight, I can't see any drawbacks, but am interested to know from your collective experience what would be best.<br /><br />Oh...14' hand layed FG semiV w/18hp tohatsu<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Composite decking question

I have used King Starboard before and also marine plywood on other boats. The marine plywood is $40 for 4' X 8' X 1/2". The King Starboard is about 4 times that price and you will probably have to order it depending on your location. There are other brands of Starboard such as Taco. They are expensive but will last forever. It cuts easier than plywood.<br /><br />HeadHunt

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Composite decking question

FINANDPRAYER, the only drawbacks I could see other than weight is that there's a lot of expansion and contraction with temps, and partly because of that it must be mechanically fastened down, not epoxy. I've thought of using the stuff just havn't had a boat that could use it, well, 'cept an old one that here now that the owners wouldn't put out the extra bucks on...Chief :)