Component cable repair?

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a set of monster component cables for my tv. On one cable, the wire got ripped out of the connector. Anyone know if this repairable or not?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Component cable repair?

The answer is yes, BassCat, but the degree of difficulty and the skill required depend on the type of connector.<br /><br />If it is a "single" it may make more sense to replace it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

18rabbit

Captain

Absolutely. However, for future reference, you can make a component cable that is as good or better than Monster's for a lot less money, and it will be a good looking cable, too.<br /><br />I suggest you remove the other two connects at the damaged end of the cable and replace all three at one time. I like ADC brand of connects but Canare is more popular with the consumer crowd. Either one is top quality, they cost about the same at $2.50/ea. Find them at a electronics supply or home theater supply.<br /><br />Edit: JB - a 'component cable' is one of those critters with 3 cables, usually bundled together. Commonly used for consumer TVs. A 'composit cable' is the single cable you're probably thinking of.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I'm planning to check out Radio Shack after work and see what they have. Is it as simple as sticking the wire in the new connect and crimping it down? Or do I need any special tools or instructions, as well?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are correct Rabbit. My bad. :(

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by BassCat73:<br /> ... Is it as simple as sticking the wire in the new connect and crimping it down? ...
Pretty much. Monster is known as one of the better cables with product value in mind. In other words, it’s better than an el-cheapo component cable, and only over-priced, as opposed to unbelievably over-priced. I think Monster may be using coax with a stranded center conductor (makes for a more flexible cable). You should look at your cable and see. If it is coax it has (a) an insulator on the outside, (b) then aluminum foil and/or braided wire shielding, (c) then foam dielectric, (d) and then the center conductor (often a single, solid copper wire but can be stranded). You should get RCA phono/coax connectors sized correctly for the Monster cable. They will crimp on. If your cable isn’t coax, you may have to do some soldering.<br /><br />You might also try calling Monster’s customer support, you might talk them into sending you 1 or 3 connectors. 1 (877) 800-8989.

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bass, are you talking about the component cables that are red/blue/green? I had the same problem with the monster cables. They are easily damaged and hard to fix. Almost $80.00 for them. The connectors fit so tight that when removed the rca plug pulls loose. The insulater/wire inside are very flimsy. Easier to get new cables imho. The wire in the cable is so fine its hard to repair.<br />Check out the A/V opinions.<br /><br /> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...highlight=monster+component+cable#post6487799

18rabbit

Captain

byrdog - is/was your component Monster cable coax cables? If Basscat's cable isn't coax you may be correct, replacing it might make more sense.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help. I'll have to take a look and see what I have. I may post a pic of it, if I'm not sure. The wire did look very thin and flimsy, so I may not have coax. <br />I never even thought about building my own cables. That's sounds like it's right up my alley.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Basscat, if you'd like to repair your cables or make your own check out Midwest Associated Inc in Monona, they used to go by the name Satterfield Electronics. We get our terminal connectors and compression tools through them. For component in-wall cables I use RG-59 solid copper cable (like 18rabbit described) and weatherproof RCA connectors which are installed by compressing a bushing between the cable and connector rather than crimping the connector around the cable. The result is a very nice cable at whetever length I need. There is a comparative cable with a braided flexible center conductor but I can't remember the # of it off hand because I use just the solid for my in-wall installations.<br /><br />You might be able to get the compression tool connectors and cable for less than the cost of your Monster Cable.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I will check into that. That's probably a mile away from my home. :)

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> ... There is a comparative cable with a braided flexible center conductor but I can't remember the # of it off hand because I use just the solid for my in-wall installations.
For interconnect cables (audio and/or video, analog or digital):<br /><br />Beldin 1694A solid conductor coax<br />Beldin 1505F stranded conductor coax<br /><br />Should be available wherever tools and connectors are sold. The 1694 coax is the standard cable used in the broadcast industry.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is good information. I will remember this when we move into a new house in the next year or two.<br /><br />While we're on the subject or wires, on the back of my tv, there is only two set of component hook-ups. I use one for the DVD player and the other for the cable receiver. Is it possible to add a splitter or something, so I can hook up an additional set of component cables for another component?

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rabbit, it was monster. The cable is red/blue/green progressive scan hookup or for the video hd hookup.<br /><br />Bass,on the subject of splitters, not sure, if you mean the progressive hookup (rbg) it can lead to loss of signal strength. I have 3 splitters going from ps2, dvd,vcr and so on. The only one I won't split is the rgb.