Completed Police Reserve Academy

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Finished up the reserve academy this last Tuesday with the final exam. It has been a fun and painful three months of working my day job and going to class weeknights/weekends, but it is done. Now, two full time positions are opening up next month, so I am applying for one of those. I was originally approached by the Cheif and told that if I wanted a full time position I needed to be a reserve first, as that is where they hire from. So things look good for me being fulltime on the police force soon. If not, two more openings are coming in October. There are several of us reserves, but I am one of the most likely to be hired. <br /><br />At least now I can send some quality time on my boat, but if I get picked up, I will have to go down to the fulltime academy for another three months, then do a crapper load of field training, so my boat may see little use this year. Thats okay, I guess a new career is worth it.... :)

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Completed Police Reserve Academy

Congrats.JasonJ Goodluck with the fulltime position.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Congrats Jason. Was that not one of the hardest tests you have ever taken? I never study for anything and always do well. When I took my TCLEOSE test I studied for three days straight. Made a 73 and was disappointed. Looked around and found out out of 50 or so who took it with me only 12 of us passed.

D

DJ

Nice to here from you Jason. Great job.<br /><br />Keep us posted.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Ken, I studied my arse off, and I feel pretty good about the test. I won't know until next week if I passed or not, but most people usually get in the 70s, barely passing. Then when they go to fulltime academy they get in the 90s on the test. The only thing I can think of is that it is difficult to retain anything and concentrate when you have to drive for an hour to get to class after working all day, then drive for an hour back home, be in bed by midnight, get up at six in the morning, work all day, then do it all over again. Talk about fried brains.<br /><br />The test was pretty generalized, everything from rape to arson to friction coefficient when operating an emergency vehicle at high speed to child molestation to you name it. A lot to study for, but I feel confident I passed. At least I shot a 290 out of 300 on handgun and a 97 out of 100 with shotgun. Being sprayed with OC and having to fight was pretty fun too. Not to mention Arrest techniques. My new favorite phrase is "The pain will stop when you comply". Can't wait to get Tazed. That happens at the department, it will be fun...

Kenneth Brown

Captain

"Quit resisting Sir, quit resisting" I would but you have my arm bent way past its normal range and the foot in the back of my head ain't helping either!

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congratulation's Jason.........<br /><br />That's how I got my start back in 1966, while working on the Apollo program.<br /><br />A friend of mine was a reserve with a Sheriff's Office prior to moving to California. He wanted to to get back into it here and asked if I was interested doing the same, as a reserve academy was starting soon. I always had in an interest is law enforcement, so I went thru the academy.<br /><br />I was hired full time in Jan.'68 and really enjoyed it until the election of a very liberal, left wing Sheriff in the early 90's.<br /><br />I continued working working on the Apollo program until the landing on the moon in 1969, when the program ended. It was tough working two jobs for almost two years, but the law enforcement job was paying much less than the other. When the Apollo program ended, I was in pretty good shape then, as the pay on my new endevor was on the rise.<br /><br />I know you made the right decision by getting into the department, especially in Idaho.<br /><br />I bailed out of the "job" in 1996, with over 28 years of full time service and could have stayed longer and got a much nicer retirement check, but I got tired of being lied to by the liberal administration and especially by the "PC" promotions of some real idiot's. <br /><br />I really enjoyed running a tactical unit for almost 20 years though.<br /><br />Several fellow's I worked with for years retired and moved to Sand Point, due to the area's more conservative values.<br /><br />One last thing.....Go to any training program they will offer you, even if it seems like a dumb course. You never know when the "dumb" course might save your "booty", either on the street or in court.<br /><br />Again, congratulation's on your new endevor.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...<br /><br />"I thought President Reagan was a liberal, but I voted for him anyway."

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats and welcome to this side of the world. <br />I started as a reserve too. They take the full 3 month academy and cram it into a few weekends. Great job sticking with it and good luck to you. <br />Stay safe and have fun with it.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thankx all, it has already been a good experience.

LubeDude

Admiral

Way to go Jason, we all new ya had it in ya. :D