Complete newbie questions on ski's

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

As the boating season is quickly approaching, my wife and I are excited about learning to ski. But i have several questions about what is the best gear for us. Our hope is that we'll be able to do some basic slalom by the end of the summer.

Question 1: I'm about 5'10 and 180lb and my wife is 5'4 and about 130lb. Would a pair of 67 combo's be reasonable for us both to learn on or will they be too short for me/to long for my wife?

Question 2: What style of ski's?? I've seen some combo's that i would call "traditional" shaped (not too wide at the tip and taper all the way back) versus the newer "spoon" shaped ones (quite wide at the front, narrow in the middle and slightly wider at the tail). Which ones would be our best bet??

Question 3: Lace-up bindings vs. non-lace up. I've read that the lace-up style offer much better support which would probably be good for both of us, but don't know for sure.

Thanks in advance!!

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Complete newbie questions on ski's

1) They would be fine. We've got a set of 67 combos and they are controllable for my wife who is about the same size 5ft 2 and 125? (some questions you shouldn't ask) I'm 185 and can get up on them holding a 40lb child.

2) I like the traditional, our kiddie skis are shaped and they just seem to ski goofy to me. I only use them when I'm taking kids up for fun, skiing on 2 always seems harder than 1 ;)

3) I personally prefer the sandle style bindings on combo skis - easier to fit a variety of foot sizes (my size 10 mens and my wifes size 5.5 womens). Ours are HO combos with the Helix bindings
I think these are the current model of what we've got.
http://www.bartswatersports.com/cat...HO_Blast_Combo_With_Helix_HH2C22_67/index.asp

haulnazz15

Captain

67" combo will be perfect. I've gotten up slalom on a 67" ski weighing over 200lbs, so you should be able to do it assuming your boat has decent power. (I got up behind a 17' bass boat with a 115 Merc). Bindings won't matter for learning to ski, and most of the combo sets will be non-lace up and once size fits all. No need for odd-shaped skis, either. Save the expensive bindings for when you step up to a single high performance slalom later on.

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I second the 67" combo skis with conventional adjustable bindings. They usually fit a wide range of feet - good when you are both sharing skiis. Initially, you'll want to keep both bindings pretty snug when learning to get up using two skis. Lean back in a deep squatting position and simply stand up once you the skiis plane. Don't try to stand up too quick.

Once you get comfortable on two skis, use your dominant foot only to get the hang of controlling yourself with only one ski. When you are ready, make sure the binding is very loose on the ski you are going to drop and once you are up on two skis, slowly pull your foot out of the binding and place it behind your front foot. Prepare for a couple wipeouts. It will be much easier to find the dropped ski if you leave it with the boot facing up as an upside down ski is harder to find. Just make sure you stay in the area of the other ski and others don't run it over.

Starting on a slalom ski takes more upper body strength than you think - don't get discouraged at first.

Good luck!

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll be on the lookout for a pair of combo's as it warms up here. Is there any advantage to one brand over another?? I've seen O'briens, HO's, Body Glove and Connelly ski's near me.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No. Skis are going to be very similar in construction. Any will last forever.
The binding design is probably going to be a bigger variable at the various price points.

Ideally you'd be able to slip the bindings on - but that requires getting your feet wet in the store.

haulnazz15

Captain

Brand isn't really important when talking about combo skis. I've got a no-name brand of "Contender 67" combo skis that we've had since the early 90's that are still in great shape. When you step up to a tournament slalom ski, then you can start quibbling over what brand/design you prefer.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

And even then, unless you are a very very good skier you won't know the difference. Save your money and only buy a great slalom ski if you start competing and want to shave hundredths of secs off your time.