Complaint about OEM manual procedure, help request

Dave Brick

Seaman
I just got an OEM repair manual for my 1992 60 hp ELEN. On ebay for $20 + freight.

For the water pump/impeller replacement section, the procedure begins with: remove the four screws attaching the pump housing to the gearbox.

It does not start with...how to open the LU to access the 4 screws. A previous thread mentions detaching the shift lever, but I'm still not sure of the procedure to get inside the darn thing.

I'm not very mechanical, but I'm pretty bright :rolleyes: and I'd like my new manual to pay for itself right away.

Any help? Maybe it's expected that any idiot should be able to figure out how to get the LU open?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Complaint about OEM manual procedure, help request

Dave... No offense intended here. There should be a section within that manual pertaining to "removing the lower unit", not "opening it". To open the unit, you would be into the gearcase, taking out gears etc.

However, First you must disconnect the shift rod that extends from the lower unit up to its connection point which is in back and under the bottom carburetor.

Start by removing the shift cable from the engine's shift linkage. Now, look closely at the linkage where it enters the swivel portion on the engine, you'll see a clevis clip that is inserted in a hole in that linkage just before the nylon bushing. Remove that clip. Now, simply push the engine's shift linkage towards the other side of the engine to disconnect the connector from the shift rod.

Now, remove the lower unit retaining bolts, don't miss the one under the trim tab. The lower unit should now drop away revealing the water pump assembly.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look just past that section under lower unit servicing. Step by step removal .
I think they did put the cart before the horse.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't know of any manuals that go into great detail of step by step procedure, starting with take the hood off.

A couple of examples. My 2000 chev factory manual concerning changing the front turn signal bulb. It doesn't say that you first have to remove the wheel and then the fender liner.

My Honda motorcycle factory manual concerning removing the carburetor, doesn't say that you start with the taillight and work your way forward.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

slooow typer

Dave Brick

Seaman

Thanks everybody.

Don't worry Joe, I take absolutely no offense, and I'm in fact honored that you responded. Thank you for your expertise and clarity.

Thanks also to everybody else. I read this forum almost daily, and I'm always amazed by the experts willingness to help newbies like me.

jonesg

Admiral

The manual is written for skilled techs who already knows how to get at pumps etc.
It isn't a magic passport for me, the expert help available here is needed to make sense of the gaps in the book.

Dave Brick

Seaman

Joe...when you say: "Start by removing the shift cable from the engine's shift linkage"...there are 2 cables that enter the engine from the remote shift, and attach to what I assume is the shift linkage. (This shift linkage is not labeled in my manual.) Do I detach both of these cables, before pulling the clevis pin?

Equally important, if I screw this up, have I greatly increased the cost of what should be a pretty simple repair?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are NOT two shift cables -- there is only one. Remember, and engine needs to speed up and slow down and that's done with the thorttle cable. It is attached to the "throttle linkage". The other cable is the shift cable. If you are very mechanically challenged, remove the engine cover. Have someone move the control lever from neutral to forward while you watch the end of the cables. The first one to move is the shift cable.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It is under the bottom carb, you will need a swivel and extension to get to it, 1/4'' drive preffered, I normally pull the starter just to make it alittle easier to get to, I believe it is an 11mm but it has been awhile.

ALso there si a gap in the housing just above the cav plate where you can get to the shift rod when reassembling, i calmp some needle nose vise grips on the shift rod there to help align it, getting the shift rod back in can be, um, amusing.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

5150abf.... His engine has the "clip" setup, not the 3/8" hex head shoulder bolt setup. A simple matter of removing the clip and pushing the shift linkage towards the other side of the engine.

Dave.... As Silvertip states, there's only one shift cable and it is the one that will move first when the throttle/shift lever is moved. And it's quite unlikely that you'll increase any fee if you need to take it elsewhere to finish up repairs. However, we have faith in you.... you can do it!

Dave Brick

Seaman

Thanks Joe...both for your expertise, and for your faith.

So, when I pull the clevis pin, and push the shift linkage from starboard to port, will I "feel" the connector disenagage from the shift rod?

Then, after the pump/impeller repair is done, do I pull the linkage back toward starboard to re-engage?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That is correct Dave. Be careful not to turn the lower unit shift rod out of adjustment. The height measurement of that rod is quite critical. A turn or two in either direction will result in shift problems.

OldPcGuy

Seaman

My small 2 cents... don't drop the pin..!! I've dropped the hex bolt on my old 150 and it took HOURS to retrieve it..!!