Compatible Greases with OMC Cobra

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have a 93 OMC Cobra, and for a while I've been using Pennzoil NLGI 2 Blue Marine Grease (the stuff off the shelf at West Marine). Recently, I put a tube of Mobil 1 NLGI 2 Synthetic red tacky grease in my grease gun for my truck. I have a lot more of it left and can't bring my self to trash it. Can I use this stuff in my outdrive without worry? If it mixes with the Pennzoil will it bust up my bearings?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Compatible Greases with OMC Cobra

I can't answer your question with any Authority,........<br />But,.........<br />
Pennzoil NLGI 2 Blue Marine Grease<br /> Mobil 1 NLGI 2 Synthetic
I'd use it........ ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The wrong grease can cause bearing to slide and not turn.<br />I am assuming when you say "in my outdrive" that you mean the gimbal bearing, and not that you are trying to use grease in your outdrive instead of gear lube.

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, I am refering to the gimbal bearing and other zerk fittings on the outdrive, NOT the gear lube. Your comment about the bearings sliding instead of turning, I vaguely remember hearing that before and made this posting looking for more information on that. <br /><br />So, to be more direct.... <br />Will synthetic tacky grease cause bearings to slide instead of turn? <br /><br />Would there be any ill-effects of mixing tacky grease with a generic wheel-bearing grease (the pennzoil).<br /><br /> Mobil 1 Syn Grease Specs

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can't answer your question about your particular grease, but I can say the Mercruiser has a specific grease called "Ujoint & Gimbal Bearing Grease", it's thinner than a lot of other greases out there. The gimbal bearing is also the same bearing as used by OMC and Volvo in the SX drives.<br />I have different grease guns for different jobs. One other note on how I work, Our customers expect and deserve proper lubes when they bring their boats in for service from a professional.