compass on an aluminum boat ?

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Airguide Marine Compass and I would like to mount it on the hard top of my aluminum boat, can this be done without problems with the compass readings?
What is the clear liquid in a compass, I would like to add or replace the liquid in my compass if I can? Thank-you

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: compass on an aluminum boat ?

Aluminum should have almost no affect on the compass because it has no magnetic qualities. The compass will need to be compensated, regardless.

I am pretty sure the liquid is mineral oil in most compasses.

D

DJ

I have a Airguide Marine Compass and I would like to mount it on the hard top of my aluminum boat, can this be done without problems with the compass readings?
What is the clear liquid in a compass, I would like to add or replace the liquid in my compass if I can? Thank-you

There are plenty of compasses in airplanes. That should be a clue.;):)

To my knowledge, the fluid is odorless mineral spirits. If it's low, or gone, you have a leak.

cbavier

Lieutenant

There are plenty of compasses in airplanes. That should be a clue.;):)

To my knowledge, the fluid is odorless mineral spirits. If it's low, or gone, you have a leak.

JIM: Sounds like your in the market for a new compass. You cannot replace the fluid in one. they really aren't that expensive. RICHIE makes several good ones available at any Marine store and probably Wal-Marts too.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Au contraire!

Many compasses have access to the globe for adding mineral spirits. It has been a while, but I added oil to a Ritchie Explorer that had developed an air bubble. Worked fine for years.

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank's for all replies, I didn't think the aluminum boat would be a problem, but I wanted to ask.
The compass is New but older Airguide model 88, Will look nice on my boat. The liquid may not be down, it just seems the bubble is big (1/12" wide looking down on the bubble??? I will mount it, ans set it up. Thanks to all!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I run an aluminum boat and the compass works great. The aluminum will not affedt it at all. Radios Speakers, Windsheild Wiper Motors, Electric wires will have an effect. Still every compass needs to be adjusted.

My compass has oil in it and I have to add every couple of years. West marine sell the compass oil. On mine I do not see any leak I think it just the blatter inside going bad and sagging.

Mounting the compass on top of the boat seem strange to me. Should be right in front of the Helm so you can see it straight ahead and lined up with the keel. Also balanced so the card is flat while underway.