Commuter vehicle?

JasonB

Lieutenant
With all the talk lately of gas prices, how many people have an extra vehicle just for commuting to work? <br /><br />I have a nice F-150 that gets 18-20mpg, but I still have my old Ranger 5spd that can get up to 26mpg. I drive 27 miles each way to work and the fuel economy of the little truck sure is nice and is fairly cheap transportation to put the miles on.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Commuter vehicle?

My normal ever day vehicle that gets good fuel economy isn't my extra vehicle.. My big ol' truck is my extra "toy". I usually only drive it once or twice on the weekends.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

My truck only gets driven to the lake on weekends. My wife has a 97 saturn and I drive a 97 T-bird. T-bird only gets about 4mpg better than my powerstroke, but I'm saving the miles on my truck. Plus operating costs are more for my truck....much bigger/expensive tires, oil change is 4 gallons.....so the T-bird makes much more sense....although I sure miss my truck!

Drowned Rat

Captain

My commuter vehicle is my Yamaha V-Star 650. It gets 58 MPG and living where I do, I can ride it year round. Plus it saves putting the mileage on the truck.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I have a Hyndai for everday travel. I use my F250 for working at the farm, hauling heavy loads, and playing in the mud. It started out as buying me a new ext dodge 3/4 ton 4wd diesel. The OG told me to keep my truck cuz I sure as heck wasn't gonna use (tear the crap out of it in her words) the new truck. Instead of the nice new big o truck I got the mini car. It all works out for me. I get to ride in smooth comfort everday and still thrash in the truck. If I stick to truck too bad for the tractor to get it out I just leave it and get in the car.

rwise

Captain

I just bought a singer with wheels! Have to do something my truck is not getting good milage about 13 to 15. Maybe now I can do something about it!

dolluper

Captain

Got a different vehicle for every day of the week and I don't work :D

D

DJ

Extra vehicle equals.<br /><br />-Extra insurance.<br /><br />-Extra maintenance.<br /><br />For some, if you put a pencil to it, it doesn't pay.

dolluper

Captain

DJ having all my vehicles at one company has saved me a bundle on insurance costs,and of coarse I do the maintenance.Have a pretty good line on cheaper parts too ,guess that comes with the 30 + years experience.But I still shop around couple bucks here or there helps fill the tanks :D :D

FLATHEAD

Captain

Traded my beloved 2500 dodge pick up in for a new Tacoma. Doubled my gas mileage. Hated to do it but at 170/180 $$ a month for gas I had to do something. Price's sure are not going down. I also have a choice of motorcycles to ride on the nice days.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Gas prices are killing me.<br /><br />I'm 16 and my only car is my '96 Eddie Bauer bronco, W/351 V8. The best I ever got was 13mph on the highway pulling a BW Montauk, around town with my rather aggressive driving style I get 11, 10 on a bad week.<br /><br />Once school starts I really don't know what I'm going to do, being summer vacation I make a lot more money then I do during the school year, but I'm gonna struggle threw the winter if prices stay the same. Like lubedude said, a second car isn't really an option, my insurance 22hundred a year. i would like to get a motorcycle to save gas, but thats isn't happening for two reasons, one is that I couldn't ride it threw the winter and the second it my dad would kill me if I brought one home.<br /><br />I heard gas prices may be going down around christmas time, I can only hope that its true

Twidget

Commander

Fortunately, I am a remote employee. I work out of the house and have a company vehicle with a gas card.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not just the F-150 thats killing me, but the dang boat too. We do have a Probe that we drive to work, which is really good on gas.