Common sense repair manual?

Nick 22901

Recruit
Would anyone mind recommending a good repair manual for a 1989 Force 150 engine. The boat repair shops in my area are very expensive and the service seems to be hit or miss according to other boaters at the local marina. I need something on the step by step level. I?m not a rocket scientist but I can change sparkplugs and oil. Flushing out a cooling system, see earlier post, can?t be that hard can it?

Nick

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Common sense repair manual?

Clymer ....not nearly as techy as a factory manual, a little better than a Seloc.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Common sense repair manual?

They are easy engines to work on. You don't need many special tools. And with the Clymers, almost anything you want to repair is covered. Only thing I find with Clymers, is that it tells you to do something or not to do something and does not give the reason. So, if you have an inquiring mind, It somtimes leaves you wanting more. But rest assured, when instructed to do or not do something there is a reason for it.

Example: on distributor ignition Chrysler, manual says to tighten dist. belt to point where a .010 feeler gauge will deflect belt 1/8 to 3/16 inch before bending. They don't tell you that if the belt is too tight, the dist. will stick and bind up the shift linkage making it almost impossible to get the engine in and out of gear.