Column Replacement

alldodge

Staff member
Simple task, but looking for ideas of how to do it better

Current:
Wood deck/porch with two 4x4 post holding covered porch. There is plywood or wood siding surrounding post, then vinyl siding and aluminum trim covering all wood. Plan is to cut post off flush at the top

New:
Concrete porch and going back with 4x4 post. Will use concrete anchor which keeps post above porch, and will have 2 side plates holding.

Can bring post up to where previous was cut off and use 3.5 inch screws at and angle, new into old.
4x4.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could always get some square metal tube, whatever thickness you would like, and concrete them into the concrete when pouring the new porch. Then paint the metal post and your finished. Just depends on what you want to do.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm supporting the roof with 2x10 at an angle so the contractor can pour the porch. I'm putting it back together after their done. Just looking for better ideas of how to reattach at the roof

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Might be more issue to trim out, but no way I'd trust screws to hold my roof up. You need support to keep the posts from shifting laterally. Also almost certainly against code. Can you get to the headers running in the roof? Preference would be to have them sit in a bracket on top of the posts. Less desirable would be to through bolt the headers to the posts. Last option would be 4 "L" brackets fastened to each side of the post and something solid in the roof.

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure I would agree its against code, but if you have the building code please show. Roofs are supported for vertical loads not horizontal to my understanding. Wind loads are transferred in the roof structure.

The columns just need to be secured enough to keep them from being moved if something bumps against them. The aluminum and other material types just use a small outer flange which are screwed into the roof, then covered by a trim ring

What I think I'm going to do is use a plate to which will extend behind the aluminum trim 3 to 4 inches for a bit extra.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
That's the bracket I was talking about. Can't quote you the code, but those posts do support more than just a vertical load. They are structurally tied together (usually via the headers) to resist movement, and also require uplift protection. Many jurisdictions require hurricane brackets as well. Construction screws simply aren't made for that. Small movements over time will fatigue them even if they were initially strong enough. Not in the construction business, but I have gone through this 3x in the last 5 years -- screened in porch, deck, and garage (ok, didn't personally build the garage, but was involved). Had many discussions with pros and the building inspector. Gathering you're not getting a permit for this, but depending on how dysfunctional the government is where you live, might be worth asking the inspector.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, looks like this subject too has turned into "which oil is best" type thread. Who would have thought...

alldodge

Staff member
WOW, looks like this subject too has turned into "which oil is best" type thread. Who would have thought...
Was asking what is a best way of doing it. I do want to do it best way without taking the gable end apart

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Honestly I would take apart the gable to insure what is being fastened to it is going into a solid surface. I am also fond of the vinyl post covering available from HD too. I have installed PT posts and used that vinyl sleeve and it looks good and is maintenance free.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
columns look good..... looks like grass is starting to grow into your blacktop.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes a bit of grass. Wanted to seal but time got away, maybe next year

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice looking for sure. And for the record, you never ever ever get finished when you own a house. There is always something that needs attention. My problem is I some times push off those things to do until the list is so long, you hate to attack them...

alldodge

Staff member
Edger, don't own one anymore, just weed wacker.
This is my short term rental that we rent out, so 2 places to take care of