Columbine Wannabes??

NYMINUTE

Captain
Boys arrested for stick figure drawings<br />Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Posted: 7:29 AM EST (1229 GMT)<br /> <br />OCALA, Florida (AP) -- Two boys were arrested for making pencil-and-crayon stick figure drawings depicting a 10-year-old classmate being stabbed and hung, police said. The children, charged with a felony, were taken from school in handcuffs.<br /><br />The 9- and 10-year-old boys were arrested Monday and charged with making a written threat to kill or harm another person. They were also suspended from school.<br /><br />One drawing showed the two boys standing on either side of the other boy and "holding knives pointed through" his body, according to a police report. The figures were identified by written names or initials.<br /><br />Another drawing showed a stick figure hanging, tears falling from his eyes, with two other stick figures standing below him. Other pieces of scrap paper listed misspelled profanities and the initials of the boy who was allegedly threatened.<br /><br />The boys' parents said they thought the children should be punished by the school and families, not the legal system.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Columbine Wannabes??

Uhhh okay the kids are in cuffs now how about the parents? Those kids did not (well maybe) raise themselves.<br /><br />I tend to put allot of the blame on parents of yougn children.<br /><br />Bob

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ummm, they are 10 years old drawing stupid pictures. I remember in 4th grade a girl stole my hand drawn "naked girl" pictures and gave it to the teacher. Guess I would have been arrested for sexual harrasment.<br /><br />No need to call the cops. The school and parents can handle it.<br /><br />Ken

spratt

Lieutenant

IMHO...this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay extreme. Perhaps the kids need to be counseled to find out what was going on, but to arrest them??? Unless tehy were known gang members, why??? Have they made threats at other times? Are they bullies? Have they ever harmed anyone before? I know that kids can kill, it is well known...but for a drawing??? Hopefully something will come out to prove the justification for this stupidity!!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It's a tough call. I would normally be the first to vote for letting the parents handle it, but, in this instance, I'm not so sure. Too many kids today are underattended by their overworked, overtaxed, overspent parents. Out of self defense they are too likely to take the attitude that lil johnny can do no wrong.<br /><br />There has been much written about the warning signs that were given off by child perpetrators of violence and the fact that they were ignored and not taken seriously. This appears to be a reaction to that fact.

D

DJ

Just give "lil Johnny" a new video game that he can murder 1000 people in one hour. That will make it all better.<br /><br />No wonder these little creeps are desensitized.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Just give "lil Johnny" a new video game that he can murder 1000 people in one hour. That will make it all better.<br /><br />No wonder these little creeps are desensitized.
I agree to this point also DJ!<br /><br />.........<br />This whole thing is just a crock of crap!!<br /><br />If you're going to have kids .. be a Damn PARENT and TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEM!!!!!<br /><br />Johnny-Law should not be involved and has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS THERE!!! <br /><br />If you have a problem with that re-read above statement!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Same thing went on when I was a kid that age. Nobody arrested us. We turned out ok.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No wonder these little creeps are desensitized.
DJ Cant quite believe it but one hundred percent agree. What really pisses me off is that kids have access to sites like [edit] removed site name in case young people read forum. [edit] where they can get desensitized to real people getting killed, maimed and mutilated isnt it time the government took a stand and got these sites removed or is that against their civil liberties.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br />
No wonder these little creeps are desensitized.
DJ Cant quite believe it but one hundred percent agree. What really pisses me off is that kids have access to sites like [edit] removed site name in case young people read forum. [edit] where they can get desensitized to real people getting killed, maimed and mutilated isnt it time the government took a stand and got these sites removed or is that against their civil liberties.
Just remember Chris, the more we ask our governments to do re: the internet, the more it will come under their control and taxation. Now that may not be such a big deal for you Brits, who tend to go along with government controls more so than we do, but over here, us Yanks would like to keep Uncle Sam as far away from control of the internet as possible.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

As a son of a school teacher, I was watched more at home than at school. I'm sorry but to pin all the blame on the parents is not the answer. Kids behave differently when out of sight of mom and pop. I know I did. I also knew if I got caught I had consequences to pay. Yes I got caught and got my butt beat by the principal and my dad.<br /><br />It doesn't happen that way anymore. When other adults cannot touch or repramand a child that is not their own, they can be liable. This came from the parents that says "You can't touch my Kid" That you can blame on those parents! That type of parents are ones who is friends with their child instead of being a mother or father.<br /><br />The "NO FEAR" signs you see around was started by teens. Imagine that? They have no fear because nobody can touch them or discipline them. When kids know this, they become invinceable.<br /><br />I guess the old game of Hangman won't be allowed in school anymore either I surpose.<br /><br />I would rather blame the networks for most of the stuff young kids do. Again mom and dad might not let them watch it, but they probably do when they go visit their friends. <br /><br />In the good old days, the kids would have been in the principals office deciding if they wanted the belt or paddle. Young kids need to have a fear of adults plain and simple. <br /><br />Pain is a good teacher. Do you put your hand back into a fire after you have got burnt for doing it the first time?

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal,<br /><br />Hear what your saying and to a point I agree dont want to end up with a system like China. <br /><br />What worries me as a parent is how I stop my kids seeing things on the internet that they shouldnt. At home I have net nanny and record all the sites they visit and keep a close eye. But Internet cafes , friends houses give them access that I cant control to things that would be illegal to print and distribute in any other form. Also peer to peer networks like Kaza give them uncontrolled access to anything. <br /><br />By the way the Government have instructed me to post this reply ;) ;)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

lol... SS MAYFLOAT <br /><br />it stems back to the parents .. your post w/o realising it explains that.. <br /><br />
That type of parents are ones who is friends with their child instead of being a mother or father.<br />
funny as i typed the nearly the same thing in a huge rant but edited it.<br /><br />
Again mom and dad might not let them watch it, but they probably do when they go visit their friends.
i.e. their friends parents<br /><br />
It doesn't happen that way anymore. When other adults cannot touch or repramand a child that is not their own, they can be liable.
shouldn't need to .. parents should instill correct behavior in a social setting.. and if things get out of hand the parents called to deal with it.<br /><br />its not up to anyone else to raise your damn kids .. teach them first - friends later.

FSHKPR

Ensign

Good answer barlow blame it on the parents! :mad: I agree parents need to take responsibility for their kids. but to say a bad child is the parents fault is wrong! wrong! wrong!. some kids just have that independent streak in them and nothing any parent or 10s of thousands of dollars for counseling, camps ect, is going to change them. I had two kids 11/2 years apart. both were raised the same way. same rules same disipline. one was always a great kid and is still a great person. the other one always bucked the system. always in trouble. still always in trouble. I was not the kind of parent that would deny my kid could do something like that. if he messed up he was made to pay the consequences.(sp) wether it was from us or the law. if anything this kid got more of our attention than the other one. and still gets more. he is 25 now has a son of his own, and still in trouble. he also knows i will do anything to help him as long he is trying to help himself. i will always give him a hand up but never a hand out. I may be more proud of the other child but i still love them both the same. sorry for the rant but it just gets under my skin when everything is blamed on the parents. Its not always the parents fault!

Twidget

Commander

No offense FSHKPR, I realize that things like you just described happen to good parents. I believe everyone is generalizing here.<br /><br />My son is only 8, he calls me his best buddy. We do a lot together. He knows his limits though, matter of fact the neighbors think I'm too strict. Weird rules like saying Mr and Mrs to adults, not tearing other peoples stuff up and being honest. Poor kid huh? <br /><br />Next door neighbors, kids ranging from 5 to 11. They have no respect for their parents. They are raised with no discipline whatsoever. Dad is always bragging about being a juvenile delinquent, mom works hard to support family and has little interaction with kids. <br /><br />As an example, Dad and 5 year old come over to get 8 year old son. 5 yo immediately runs into my sons room and starts jumping on his bed. My son tells her to get off his bed, so she gets mad and jumps into a pile of his toys breaking some. The boys bring the broken toy in and tell the dad. He got after her a bit for breaking the toy, she just glared at him. I was expecting her head to spin around and green stuff to come out with that look. I am dreading when his kids get older. Maybe I can afford to move by then. <br /><br />Not always the parents, but usually.