Colorado Cracks Down on Left-Lane Dawdling

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Way to go Colorado!!!!<br /><br />From: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=639205 <br /><br />__________<br /><br />DENVER Apr 4, 2005 — Colorado is serious about its no-dawdling law in left lanes. Drivers who insist on staying in the passing lane are risking tickets as the State Patrol has begun enforcing a law requiring motorists to use the left lane for passing only. <br /><br />Since the patrol started enforcing the "Left Lane Law" three months ago, troopers have written about 460 tickets or about an average of five a day to drivers who dawdle in the left lane. <br /><br />The law applies in zones with speed limits of 65 mph or higher. It took effect July 1, but troopers gave drivers until January to get used to the new law; warnings were issued instead of tickets.<br /><br />Master Trooper Ron Watkins said that since the ticketing campaign began three months ago about 90 percent of the drivers he has pulled over for dawdling or cruising in the left lane said they didn't know that it was illegal to do so. <br /><br />Violators of the left lane rule may be fined up to $41 and have three points tacked onto their driver's licenses. The law is not enforced when the highway is too congested to allow drivers to pass.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Colorado Cracks Down on Left-Lane Dawdling

It is still illegal to exceed the speed limit in the left lane, right?<br /><br />What if the posted speed limit is 65. Does a driver have the right to travel exactly 65 in the left lane because nobody is supposed to be traveling faster than that? Would they be ticketed?<br /><br />I personally dislike drivers who cruise in the passing lane, but am curious if they have an argument to stand on.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Another way to increase revenues for cities and state coffers instead of raising taxes

NYMINUTE

Captain

Indiana will be the first in the Nation to: Tax the Air we breathe. Afterall it is the states air! ISN'T IT?

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

"90 percent of the drivers he has pulled over for dawdling or cruising in the left lane said they didn't know that it was illegal to do so."<br /><br />So....besides being blind to the signs...I guess these people never considered being the slightest bit courteous to other drivers either (ie: getting out of the way)? :rolleyes: <br /><br />Yep...another money maker for sure, but at least they're doing something about it.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Illinois has the same law.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Indiana will be the first in the Nation to: Tax the Air we breathe. Afterall it is the states air! ISN'T IT?
Don't know about breathing it, NYM, but Illinois (along with a couple other states, don't remember which) has attempted to assess sales tax and liquor tax on drinks sold on board commercial aircraft while in Illinois airspace. A bit hard to administer, though.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Tx has the same law. I think its alright out on the open road, but not in a city during rush hour. On a strech of 20 in Arl., its posted left lane for passing only. What the heck you do in rush hour and all 4 lanes are backed up. I guess Johhny law would have a field day in situations like that.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Got the same law here. Wish they'd enforce it! :( <br /><br />Same for talking on cell phones. I think our traffic cops are just too b*** lazy.<br /><br />Chris...............

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you aint passing, stay right. <br /><br />Speed limit is an entirely seperate issue.<br /><br />Same law in TX, but rarely enforced.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Indiana will be the first in the Nation to: Tax the Air we breathe. Afterall it is the states air! ISN'T IT?
It IS the state's AIR SPACE, so they must own the air in it...but what happens when that air blows over into the neighboring state...who taxes it then???

achris

More fish than mountain goat

And what about air that was owned by the neighbouring states that blows INTO Indiana. Who gets the tax for that stuff?<br /><br /> :D :D :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by achris:<br /> And what about air that was owned by the neighbouring states that blows INTO Indiana. Who gets the tax for that stuff?<br /><br /> :D :D :D
Indiana gets charged for theft! ;)

dogsdad

Lieutenant

The unwritten law here in the DFW area is that if you are in the left lane, you go 70 mph---speed limit be damned. Yet there is always that one anal orifice...<br /><br />What really chaps my hide is 18-wheelers passing each other when one is going 59 and the other wants to go 60---in a 65 or 70 mph zone. These guys really add to the congestion and irritation on the roads.<br /><br />It seems like there's always some butthead in front of you who wants to go 40, and another one behind you who wants to go 80.<br /><br />Dawdlers should all go to jail...screw the fines!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

If I'm in a hurry I stick to the right lane... all the slow pokes line up on the left here in WI. Makes me nuts. We have a sign every 500 yards that states "slower traffic keep right" but nobody cares. I got stuck behind a pair of semis for fifteen miles once because the one on the left could go .0000001 mph faster than the one on the right, until they got to a hill. Then the one on the right could go .0000001 mph faster. And niether one was keeping up to the speed limit.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br />
It IS the state's AIR SPACE, so they must own the air in it...but what happens when that air blows over into the neighboring state...who taxes it then???
Then the Fed's step in. Somebodies got to get the $$$ from us.

dolluper

Captain

Up here on the mutilane cowpaths the right lane is always the fastest at lights they all line up in one [the left]DUHH so I guess so I can breeze threw on the right :D :D

walleyehed

Admiral

has attempted to assess sales tax and liquor tax on drinks sold on board commercial aircraft while in Illinois airspace.
Airspace by FAR is considered "Federal Airspace" from the ground, up.....No such thing as "State Airspace".<br />I know you weren't implying anything to the contrary, jtex, this is just how it is defined by Federal aviation Regulations.<br />Whether a state could slip something like this past the federal Gov. would not surprise me, but I don't think it will happen.