Colin Powell resigns

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree that it's too bad, but I think we'll see him again, perhaps in that national intelligence position, maybe somewhere else. I don't think he's through being a player, but I think he wants off the traveling team.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Colin Powell resigns

I think some of the disagreements have been overplayed by the media. Powell did his job well, and he may not have always won in the discussions of what the policy should be, but I think he was always heard. Secrataries on all levels participate in making policy, but it is the President's policy at the end of the day. I agree that I hope he will be replaced with someone just as competent. It is incredibly important that the Secretary of State be a person respected by world leaders so that he/she can speak on the President's behalf.

KaGee

Admiral

History will remember him well. That has to be a "meat-grinder" of a job. Can't blame him... weaker men would have packed it in long ago.

NOSLEEP

Commander
Colin Powell resigns

Bush accepts his resignation this morning.<br />To bad. But we knew it was coming.

KaGee

Admiral

Hmmmmm, wondering.... Secretary of State Rice....maybe?

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If he never does anything else in government he will be remembered well, but I believe his best and most productive days are ahead of him.<br /><br />He may be a special envoy on a specific issue, or do something else. I agree that Secretary of State is a meat grinder position, but one in which he has performed admirably. I'm not sure Arnold will ever do much more than be governor of California, but I suspect that Colin Powell will be back. Not exactly where he was, but back to serve our nation and probably during this administration.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I knew him and Bush did not see eye to eye on things, but I believe it is a good idea to keep a dissenter in the group. Hopefully he will be replaced with someone just as competent.<br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

This is a loss, his sucessor will be under a very large microscope, the whole world will match. Doesn't look too good for the administration.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> I knew him and Bush did not see eye to eye on things, but I believe it is a good idea to keep a dissenter in the group. Hopefully he will be replaced with someone just as competent.<br /><br />Ken
My understanding is that it was primarily a Powell vs. Cheney/ Rumsfeld/ Rove thing (the neoconservatives). Of course that would have to effect Powell/ Bush since Bush went mostly with the neoconservatives positions...

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

From a european stand point he will be missed one guy with his head screwed on who could deal with other countries even in the arab world. Personally I think he was a top bloke and brought the voice of reason to the table. I want to see him president in the future!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Powell resigns... I'm shocked :eek: (sarcasm).. I knew they'd run off the only straight shooter in the administration.....<br /><br />Can't wait for the book... :) Wanna bet Powell throws Bush & company under the bus? :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Powell resigns... I'm shocked :eek: (sarcasm).. I knew they'd run off the only straight shooter in the administration.....<br /><br />Can't wait for the book... :) Wanna bet Powell throws Bush & company under the bus? :)
I'd bet that he doesn't. If he was that type I think there would have been ALOT more noise out of Washington over the cabinet policy battles. <br /><br />Regardless of whether or not he has reason to, I suspect his patriotic qualities, military background (respect for the chain of command), and overall sense of diplomacy will prevent Powell from publishing a tell all book...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Wanna bet Powell throws Bush & company under the bus? :)
Yep! What odds ya gonna give me?

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FlyRod, she isn't blonde, but she's darn good looking(I guess that doesn't really matter, but it's OK with me), and I'd hate to argue any topic with her, she's smart.<br /><br />CP may be in the private sector, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take on another "mission" for this administration. Some might consider anything else he did a demotion, but for someone not concerned about public opinion and wanting more time with his family that appearance really wouldn't matter. I think we'll see more of him.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I agree with hayhauler!!! He will always be remembered as one of the best and did his job very!! very !! well!!! :D he was well liked and trusted by many people and well educated!!! And we all knew that he had mentioned a while back that it was time to leave. My guess is he will be in the private sector,"no more government"!!!<br /><br />My guess is if Condelicia Rice stays on she will take his place, another very well liked and educated woman "In case ya didn't notice she isn't a blonde"!! ;) :cool:

spratt

Lieutenant

It has to feel pretty good knowing your name will show up in all the history books! Though historians have a way of digging up garbage and fouling some of the ones we held as heores...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Nope! Way too cold, Nosleep... :D <br /><br />50/50 odds, Boomyal... The reason, like Lakelivin said, "patriotic qualities"... But it is also patriotic to tell what ya know, and I think Powell would have quite a bit to tell... We shall see... :cool:

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just heard that Condeleza Rice is going to get the Pres. nomination for Secretary Powell's position. I think she'll do a good job. Senators couldn't out talk her.