Cold Water Exhaust?

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice
I took my boat out today to test drive the new 4 blade prop I just installed and I noticed something that I've never seen before. While the boat was idleing there was a white colored mist coming out from behind my boat. Now I know this is the exhaust, but is this happening just b/c the water is still really cold? It didn't do it last summer when I ran it. Have any of you witnessed this? I know this may be a stupid question, but I'm a pretty new boat owner and just want to make sure.

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cold Water Exhaust?

I wouldn't worry about it, many older boats will 'smoke white', and if it was cold, then sure.

a70eliminator

Captain

If it was cold enough to see your breath, then yes you'll see condensing of the exhaust vapors, water is a byproduct of combustion.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Was it burning off Fogging oil,..?? First run of the season,..??

EAVES

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wouldnt worry about the white smoke ,steam or whatever you call it LOL its normal

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys! Yes it was the first run of the season.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

While the ports at the back of the engine can be considered exhaust, they are technically exhaust "relief" ports. The exhust for an outboard generally exits through the hub of the prop. However when idling, there is a considerable amount of back pressure on the hub so some of the exhaust exits at those relief ports. Depending on the temperature, you may notice a very fine water mist and some vapor discharge. That is perfectly normal.

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice

That's a relief to know, I was kinda stressin about it. My motor is actually a 4.3L Mercruiser I/O engine.