Cold start proceedure

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Let me start off by saying the engine is 140hp-1980, on a 17' ski boat. Used the boat last week,probably put 10 hours on it skiing,tubing etc. total. My question is first thing in the morning I would start up the motor using the "cold start method", (squeezing the primer bulb, turning the key to on postion, pushing it in 8 times to activate the choke solenoid,lifting the cold start lever all the way up crank it over,engine starts right up no problem what so ever) Take the grand kids skiing and tubing everything is still good engine idles at 800rpm,no problem-problem occurs when I shut the engine down,then try to start it after a few minutes of down it won't start... If I lift the "cold start lever" just a little ways up 1" or so then turn the key on the engine starts up as if nothing ever happened. Any suggestions? or thoughts?
Bailey

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cold start proceedure

Couple things with your procedure. For cold starts you don't push the key 8 times. You push and HOLD it for an 8-count. You also don't need the fast idle lever FULL UP. 1/2 is fine. For warm starts the fast idle lever on some engines needs to be up a little. Folks who are not old enough to have ever driven a carbureted car don't know about choke knobs, throttles, pumping the accelerator to set the choke or holding the gas pedal down a bit on warm starts. Carbureted outboards are very much the same way. Some need a little throttle opening to start when hot -- some don't.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cold start proceedure

...I shut the engine down,then try to start it after a few minutes of down it won't start... If I lift the "cold start lever" just a little ways up 1" or so then turn the key on the engine starts up as if nothing ever happened. Any suggestions? or thoughts?
Bailey

my suggestion is keep starting it that way.