Cold start fast idle on a 150 GT

CF-DRG

Cadet
My 150 GT won't idle down.... :confused: It starts great runs great but... as some of you know this engine advances the timming to alow for a faster warm up (or start) when the engine is cold.... Well even when she is warm the idle wont come down, stays at the fast idle ( it is not a linkage problem,carbs are completly closed) ... I have replaced both temp sensors on the heads and it still is the same... The manual mentions a coil for fast idle on the stator, but I haven't checked this out yet...<br /> What I'm wondering is if there is a way to by-pass this advancement.. (take this wire off or ground that one...ect) the engine ran fine last year and did idle at the low end great... but now it just won't come down :eek: And I hope I don't have to replace a BRAIN BOX or something $$$$...<br /> Please HELP

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cold start fast idle on a 150 GT

Welcome!!<br /><br />Are you sure your motor has Quick Start? Whats the model number?

CF-DRG

Cadet

It is a 1989 Johnson GT-150, it has the 35 amp charge system, <br /> As far as having Quick Start... well when I use to start it, the engine would rev-up and then after 5 seconds it would come down to a nice idle... but now it just stays at the higher rev idle...Makes a real thunk when putting it into gear.... <br />As far as Model #... where would I find the plate that tells what model it is?

angus63

Captain

Check your timing advance and be certain it is returning all the way back to the idle stop when you throttle back to neutral. They tend to stick if not clean and lightly lubed.<br />Good luck