Cold engine despite running for a while. Water entering bilge

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, 4 years a carb rebuild new exh/risers, thermo and housing, trim units, gimbal bearing, bellows shift cable, sei drive etc... everything seemed like go in the driveway. at the launch, i noticed water in the bilge and saw a leak from one of the risers between the boot and Y pipe. nothing major Noticed engine temp was not rising and it was dead cold. started hearing and seeing a stream in the back of engine compartment down below. I'm going to remove the drive and inspect everything to make sure it is tight and sealed. Cold engine possibly related to the leak???

4.3 l merc
1999 SR curry 190

alldodge

Staff member
If it coming out around the bottom of the motor bell housing, it might be a core plug rusted thru or came out.

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it coming out around the bottom of the motor bell housing, it might be a core plug rusted thru or came out.
ok, yeah, I had a concern about one of those but they are located on each side of the block. I suppose I should see it with the muffs on too, no? would that be the reason the engine was cold ?? I can see an engine overheating but never getting warm, got me.

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just ran it with the muffs for about 10 in. Saw no water anywhere. engine temp did not break 115 and intake manifold was cold. top of risers were warm and area around the thermo housing. port exhaust water was splattering while starboard was more stream like. felt under the port Y pipe but did not feel any rust thru.

alldodge

Staff member
This is your cooling system
V6 Open cooling.jpg

Has a 4 port thermostat housing
Note how the thermostat and pieces are installed. If done incorrectly it could be bypassing.

That said since it only leaks when in the water, it's most likely a transom issue. Could be soft or something not installed correctly

Scott06

Admiral
ok, yeah, I had a concern about one of those but they are located on each side of the block. I suppose I should see it with the muffs on too, no? would that be the reason the engine was cold ?? I can see an engine overheating but never getting warm, got me.
There are core plugs in back of block behind flywheel too

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update on this. Found the brand new never used but installed for 1 year, shift bellows torn in 2 places. Replaced. Checked thermostat for proper install.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Just ran it with the muffs for about 10 in. Saw no water anywhere. engine temp did not break 115 and intake manifold was cold. top of risers were warm and area around the thermo housing. port exhaust water was splattering while starboard was more stream like. felt under the port Y pipe but did not feel any rust thru.
Make sure thermostat is working or/and installed. The engine needs to operate efficiently at a certain temperature range. If salter water motor, y pipe or core/freeze plug may have corroded through. Use a mirror as best as possible to see under motor. Pray motor didn't freeze during winter and you are just now discovering it. Check plugs for water, just to be safe, if all else checks out OK.

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make sure thermostat is working or/and installed. The engine needs to operate efficiently at a certain temperature range. If salter water motor, y pipe or core/freeze plug may have corroded through. Use a mirror as best as possible to see under motor. Pray motor didn't freeze during winter and you are just now discovering it. Check plugs for water, just to be safe, if all else checks out OK.
Thanks. I did open thermo to verify placed correctly and it was a brand new housing and thermo. Update is I put in the ocean and test ran it with same issue for about 20 min. opened her up to about 3500 rpm for a about 10 min and the temp gauge finally started to move, engine eventually reached 130 for a period, then finally came up after another while to 170. a bit high if I'm correct but engine compartment was finally warm and all components hot to the touch.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like the water is taking way to long to warm up. Thermostat is wrong one ? installed wrong ? Choke is wrong ? Missing a gasket under the thermostat ? Temperature gauge is in correct ? A little bit of some problems ?

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So an update on this saga. After opening new thermo housing again I noticed quite a bit of rusted metal chips in my manifold and cleaned it out. Did this a last year as well when I replaced the housing and stat. Also put in another thermostat from the automotive store. Problem seems to be solved but the determination of what was the cause is unknown. I did see those chips in the spring of the thermo and it also seemed some small bit was stuck in the ball. Can't attach pic but maybe time for a new intake manifold too.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Rust chips will be all over the cooling system. Inside the block also. Only way to get most of them out is to remove the core plugs and flush the heck out of the block itself.