Coil Ground Wire: 1971 Evinrude 2 hp

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been working on a 1976 Evinrude I purchased several weeks ago. I have replaced the points, condensor, spark plug, and spark plug wire, all properly gapped and am not getting a spark. Compression is 90 psi which is I am thinking on the lower end of o-k. The coil looks new so I didn't replace it, but the coil ground wire is "glued" to the right mounting bracket of the coil with silicone-type glue. From other motors I have looked at, I am thinking that ground wire should be attached to the coil by the right coil mounting bolt, thus creating a real ground. Does this make sense?

Thanks.

kbait

Commander
Re: Coil Ground Wire: 1971 Evinrude 2 hp

Get rid of the silicone and hook the ground wire ring directly to mounting bolt. If till no spark, check plug wire/connection to coil and connection to plug boot.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Glue??? One has to wonder what some people are thinking.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hmmmmm, maybe they were sniffing a little.....anyhow, 90 psi in a 2hp, is excellent. Your grand kids will probably get that motor, before there is any concern there. Likr kbait says, check those connections and you should be good to go.

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I got rid of the silicone glue, applied the coil ground properly, and checked the spark plug connections. Everything looks good but I still don't have a spark. I disconnected the ground wire from the armature plate, checked for spark again and no luck. I checked the coil with an ohmmeter per Clymer and found with the ohmmeter set on the low scale (200), the resistance between the coil primary terminal and the coil ground wire is 1.1. With the ohmmeter set on the high scale (2000k) the resistance between the coil primary terminal and the high tension terminal is 4. This doesn't meet Clymer's specs. but I have seen conflicting standards.

Anyway, I am thinking either the coil needs to be replaced or I have an open circuit some place. I haven't been able to find an open circuit and these engines are so simple there aren't that many places to look.

Please advise. Thanks much.

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I really think the coil is bad so will be replacing it. The Doug Penn You Tube video on testing ignition coils is helpful.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You could possibly have a bad connection, where the spark plug lead goes into the coil, or at the spark plug boot. I would trim off about 3/8" off each end and check your spark again. If the insulation on the coil is cracked, then it's best to replace it anyhow.

Attachments

• Coilbosses.JPG
    Coilbosses.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 0

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I installed the new coil. I checked the connections on both ends of the new spark plug wire and cleaned the new points. The new coil has a screw-in for the spark plug wire so it is on really tight and I applied liquid neoprene so it wouldn't budge. So far I have replaced the points, condenser, coil, and spark plug wire. It still has NO SPARK. I feel like I am losing my mind!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take a piece of 400 grit sand paper and run through the points a few time when they are closed. Then dip a piece of paper in acetone and run through them again and see what happens.

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, that was good advice and I tried this three times, and still no spark. These points are really clean. The interesting thing is I have been simultaneously working on a 1971 2 hp Evinrude (the one I have been writing about is a 1976 2 hp Evinrude.) These two motors are almost identical. I performed the same work on the 1971 except I also rebuilt the lower unit. The 1971 sparked strongly the first time I tried.

The 1976 has never sparked and I have taken the flywheel off at least 20 times. This time I took the points, condenser, and coil off and remounted them, applying a new spark plug wire. No luck. BUT, I have noticed the plate on the points which the condensor wire and the green wire from the coil are attached to seems a little loose...it rocks a little. These points are new but I am thinking of replacing them as it is the only thing which seems a little "off". The old two sets of points and the new ones from the 1971 do not rock. Those plates are attached strongly. I know this seems a little desperate but....

What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, it's likely that you just found your issue. The points should be securely mounted and no rocking.

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, replacing the points didn't help. I think I will now remove the armature plate from the 1971 and install it on the 1976. If it works (and it should) I will know the problem is somewhere on the 1976 armature plate. Also, the 1976 Evinrude is a surprise gift to my brother to power his 8 foot dinghy, so once the 1976 works I will be able to give it to him. It is hard to believe either the new coil or the new condensor are defective, isn't it???? Both armature plates are identical and I have replaced all ignition parts on each, with identical parts. Wierd.

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I moved the armature plate with the "good" ignition system from the 1971 to the 1976. The 1976 STILL DOESN'T HAVE SPARK. I guess I can conclude the 1976 armature plate with its components were not the problem. The ground wire is shiny and attached. WHAT AM I MISSING????

wbeaton

Commander

The armature plate doesn't ground through its mount on the block like most outboards. There should be a small grounding wire screwed to the bottom of the armature and to the block. Without it you will never see spark. Is yours connected?

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, it is connected. I shined up the connecting points on the armature, block, and both ends of the grounding wire. They are firmly connected. You stop this engine by moving the armature plate all the way to the left (starboard) until it grounds against a tab on the top of the block. That, also, is working properly. This motor is acting like there is a ground, or open circuit somewhere but I can't locate where that might be.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would go ahead and try a different coil. You stated that you didn't replace it, so I would go ahead and try a new one. I have actually seen good looking coils go bad on these, sorry to say.

wbeaton

Commander

I thought you replaced the coil. Get out the multimeter and look for continuity everywhere. Disconnect the coil leads and look for continuity between the point lead and the plug wire, across the points both open and closed, and between the points and the block.

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1971 and a 1976 Evinrude 2 hp motors. The parts are essentially interchangeable. I installed new coils, points, condensors, and spark plug wires on both. Both armature plates produce good spark on the 1971 motor but neither work on the 1976 motor. The ground wires are connected on both, with shiny ends and connection points. I measure resistance in ohms from the spark plug boot to engine ground on both at 2,000k and arrived at 6 ohms for each. The 1971 is sparking great, the 1976 has NO SPARK. The problem appears not to be on the armature plates or their components but on the body of the 1976 motor. I am so confused. Thanks for your help.

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I found the problem. I finally realized the 1971 breaker point cam had the word "top" on it while the 1976 cam did not. I took off the 1976 cam and found the word "top" on the bottom, so someone had installed it upside down. I will install this properly in the morning and report back. I'm pretty confident this is the solution to the problem. I bought this motor on Craigslist and you have to wonder how long the cam has been upside down, and who put it in that position. Thanks again.

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

PROBLEM RESOLVED. I installed the breaker point cam right side up and now have bright blue spark. I almost can't believe it! Thanks much.