Coil back tab catching on flywheel - can I file it down?l

Rmsari

Seaman
Putting new coils on my motor and back tab of coil sticks out more than the original and is slightly snagging it no matter how much I try moving. Can I file it down to get it to fit? thanks

100_0641.jpg

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Coil back tab catching on flywheel - can I file it down?l

So both coil heels are flush and the center still rubs? And you're sure that nothing is trapped underneath? Sometimes the coil wire can get pinched under the back of the coil & won't let it sit flat. If all that is true I'd say yeah you're going to need to file it. Although my first impulse is to say send them back and get some real coils. But being in automotive repair I must say I'm sensitive about cheap piece of crap and plain defective parts. Well fed up is what I am. Just out of curiosity what brand are they?

Cheers.................Todd

Gwichers

Cadet

I would take it back for an exchange. If it is installed the right way, then it's a defective part/s.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Rmsari. Assuming the coils are the right part number, they should be fine do not file them down. It's pretty common to have some alignment issues when putting new coils on. Try loosening the screws that hold coils in place a little and pinching both coils in towards the center of the magneto plate. Hold them pinched with one hand and tighten them back down with the other. They do make a special ring to align them, but you don't really need it. Once you're readjusted them put the flywheel back on and spin it a few times by hand with the spark plugs removed. If you feel any rubbing, try readjusting the coils again. Don't worry, they'll fit under there you'll just have to fiddle with them a bit.

Rmsari

Seaman

Hi Rmsari. Assuming the coils are the right part number, they should be fine do not file them down. It's pretty common to have some alignment issues when putting new coils on. Try loosening the screws that hold coils in place a little and pinching both coils in towards the center of the magneto plate. Hold them pinched with one hand and tighten them back down with the other. They do make a special ring to align them, but you don't really need it. Once you're readjusted them put the flywheel back on and spin it a few times by hand with the spark plugs removed. If you feel any rubbing, try readjusting the coils again. Don't worry, they'll fit under there you'll just have to fiddle with them a bit.

You're right fiddled with them and got them aligned. thanks

kfa4303

Banned

sweet. when in doubt......do more fiddlin' !!!!